Atila the Hun, 84 GL1200 disguised as a GL 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there for awhile i got saveral motor off timing but not hitting anything lucky they turned out to be nice motors but one ...you need a vetter lower to help line things up mike ...looking good

Ordered the water pump rebuild kit from Germany, w/p gasket kit and intake o-rings from george-fix and the ALL Balls tapered bearing steering head rebuild kit from Boss Powersports. Parts sheduled to start arriving first of next week. Now I'm trying to decide what style and where to order the handle bars from, hard to do without having them to put on the build and see how they fit and function.

Not what I wanted to see when I took the trans cover off... killer of many engines hanging to the inside of the cover, wonder how much made it into the engine.
WP_20140509_001.jpg

I have an 84 GL1200 I need to take the engine out of, its just a frame, engine and wheels, bought it for $50 at a private Harley shop, was somebodies naked project that refused to pay so owner of shop sold it cheap to me because it was a cat in a dog kennel.

Engine is going to be completely cleaned and inspected before going into my 82 GL1100 dresser. Goal is to make a custom show bike, I am thinking of an alternative paint color, bike already has a ton of gold plated show gear, might do a copper case paint on engine.

Got the water pump out of the cover, cover cleaned and ready for paint along with oil filter housing, yep the washer was missing for the oil filter, just like 99 % of all others, LOL. Received the gasket set and the intake o-rings from georgefix and the All balls bearings and seals for the steering head from a new to me ebay seller, Boss Powersports Outlet, 25.95 with free shipping and fast 5 day service to the door. Might want to add them to the good list. Surprised to find a bakelite pump in this 84 model as Honda phased them out during the last of the 1100 models. Since this one was obviously replaced at some point due to all the red RTV, could have been left over OEM off the shelves they were getting rid of. No matter, got it all apart and cleaned and waiting on the rebuild kit which should be here in a couple of day. Water pump failure was due to bearing seals letting go and filling center cavity with oil with mixed with filthy water, (no antifreeze) making a paste which filled up the weep hole. What a mess, but it didn't leak, it couldn't. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I've had real good luck with georgefix and Boss Powersports Outlet. George seems to have a lot of odds and ends that nobody else has.

Hate to say it, but the filter screen is not accessible on the 1200 without splitting the case. With the front cover off, you can shine a light into the engine and look for any obvious debris.

Sounds like you're gettin' close, Mike...

Yep, bummer on the screen deal, I'm not going to split the cases, at least not right now, if some of the rtv made it in there hopefully the screen caught it.
I didn't look at too much in his store ekvh, was to rushed for time at that moment, just know he take's care of business and doesn't rip people off on shipping charges, could be that he has cut back his merchandise.

Removed the trans cover to get the metal impeller water pump out of an 85 model I have been robbing parts from, it's scheduled to be a back to bare frame future project build anyway. 47,000 miles on the bike and it appears that it's the original water pump, no looseness or movement, only problem I could find was it was a little hard to turn the shaft, guess the bearings had started to seize from sitting up. I was going to rebuild it anyway, no way would I stick a used one in one of these engines. I have yet to find a trans cover that the weep hole was not stopped up with crap, should be on the oil change maintenance list to clean that dude out every time. Checked on the rebuild kit for the pump, it left New York this morning headed this way. Got the parts all cleaned, painted and waiting to be assembled.

Technical question: I know that a ballast weight was used on the front forks of the faired model goldwings prior to 84 to settle the front end wobble caused by so many reasons I won't list. The two reasons I put most faith in in front tire/wheel oscillation and fairing lift of front end caused by Hondaline fairings. I understand that the Vetter fairings did not experience this problem. Honda shed the fork weight and in 84 and starting using weights inserted in the end of the handle bars. I just ordered a set of bars for Attila and since I will be using a Vetter fairing, I was wondering if I should insert weights in these new bars. Opinions ? https://www.oldbikebarn.com/Z-Bend-Clubm ... ry=3217624

Normally bar weights are to reduce vibration through the bars that cause fatigue in hands and forearms. I don't believe that these weights were designed to remove lightness in the front end IMHO ( then again I was amazed to find that Honda had added a big weight to compensate for bad fairing design).

Latest posts