Gearing ?? / Trike build !

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the Fendes , but they are just sitting on the tires, I still have to make the Brackets to mount them .... and Roll the Edges of them too.

image.php

Super looking build! Rolled edge for fenders would be easy if you just bend 1/2" conduit to the same arch as the fenders and just weld them on.

That is soooo kewl looking! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
One thought about the fenders. You said you were thinking of mounting them about 1/2" off the tires, since the whole thing moves together. I'm thinking maybe go at least an inch. The tires will "grow" in the middle at road speeds (that whole dang centrifugal force theory thing, doncha know?). Don't know how much they would actually grow, but might be best to play it safe, if you're going to be mounting them solid.
Just a thought. :mrgreen:
The one trike I have ridden was a bit tough to turn at any speed, but was easier at road speed, for sure. It was weird turning corners and not leaning into it, plus the two wheels in the rear want to keep the one wheel in the front pointed forward all the time. There's bound to be some sort of steering geometry tricks that would help with that...rake, or angle changes, etc.

Anyway...it's looking good!!! :good:

AApple":2tst0tjf said:
That is soooo kewl looking! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
One thought about the fenders. You said you were thinking of mounting them about 1/2" off the tires, since the whole thing moves together. I'm thinking maybe go at least an inch. The tires will "grow" in the middle at road speeds (that whole dang centrifugal force theory thing, doncha know?). Don't know how much they would actually grow, but might be best to play it safe, if you're going to be mounting them solid.
Just a thought. :mrgreen:
The one trike I have ridden was a bit tough to turn at any speed, but was easier at road speed, for sure. It was weird turning corners and not leaning into it, plus the two wheels in the rear want to keep the one wheel in the front pointed forward all the time. There's bound to be some sort of steering geometry tricks that would help with that...rake, or angle changes, etc.

Anyway...it's looking good!!! :good:

Power steering.
I see another use for the 4" pulley!

Looking good sledge!

Thanks guys , everything is working fine ...but like AApple said , they are a little hard to turn , maybe I just need to get used to it some , this is the first Trike like This I have ever rode . years ago I did some work on a VW trike for another guy, kept it and rode it for a few weeks .... but it had a 18" over Springer front end on it , and it took a field to turn it around . THIS is nothing like that . soon as I get these Fenders mounted.....and I'm working on that today , I'm gonna really take it out for a RIDE ! at least 100 miles , that should give me a real idea of how it's all gonna work , and act .

Increasing rake would be moving the front tire forward. Longer forks can do that. Special triples are made for it. Or steering neck angle can be changed. Custom forks are also made for the additional rake.

Interesting.
I've been doing some reading about this and many say changing the rake is almost as good as running a leading link.
How would a guy go about changing the rake, are there kits?

Kits are available, 7 to 900 dollar range, small gain on rake can be accomplished by extending front fork tubes with the front clamps and lowering the rear of the bike, the cheapest way is to cut and kick the bottom of the neck forward 3 to 6 degrees, but the demon here is the more you increase to rake, the more likely you are to get front wheel wobble at speed. Most popular rake angles for trikes and sidecars are from the 3 to 6 degrees but some even go as high as 7.5 degrees.

yes...........thats some good things to know , i'm gonna ride mine enough to get the hang of it , before I change anything .

I was 18 in 1969 , the height of the Hippy days really .... and I have Built and Owned several Choppers ... I have had , Springer's , Girder's , and Long Fork Tubes . and None of them was Much good for nothin' ... they looked good sitting in the Yard , but Lord they rode like a I-Beam ........if you change the front end out for like a Springer , say 16" over sock ...but I have no idea what the Rake ever was on any of them.

Latest posts