Gearing ?? / Trike build !

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joedrum":2apn5xvn said:
thats not sledge in the pic thats the brains of the operation ....i bet theres some real knowledge in that man
As you can see i get confused at times also :shock: Nad And yes no doubt there's A LOT of knowledge in that gentleman Joe. :yes:

Oh yes , Joe is right , the man in the Picture is my Wife 78 year old Uncle , and my best friend , I call him my Uncle-In-Law .... and also as Joe said , this man has forgot more than I'll ever know . I try to be around him all I can , and learn what I can from him . soon as I started talking about converting my Goldwing into a Trike , he started saying , you know you might be better off to do this ......or that . I said hey , I thiank you for your Ideas and help with anything . I am 60 years old , and I have learned when I'm talking to somebody smarter them I am , to Shut up and Listen.
and ohhhhhhh , by the way this is Me.

:music:
image.php

you too Carl , the date on that picture is wrong , that was July of 2011 , me and the wife was on a Teardrop trip to Spencer Ind. . . Clark State Forest , beautiful country.

OK , Update on the Trike build ... my buddy got the 2 outside halves mechined , and the Inside piece straight ,

image.php

here you can see how the other half will make a outside cover over the inside box . and he barked each side of each piece so it will all be right . and got together the same way he mechined it .

image.php

here you can see the end sticking out a little , and you can also see the Gap in the corner that will be welded up tight ... and across on the otherside will be the same way .

image.php

and here it is , slid out a little , we are gonna put these together , with a piece of .0001 Shim Stock on 2 sides of the Outside of the INSIDE piece , between the 2 parts .. then clamp the 2 outside halves and weld them together , then ... use a press to get them back apart , and then sand the high spots ( if there is any ) to make these 2 parts , with a .0001 gap , slide in and out as the trike runs over bumps or holes in the road .

image.php

hey there mwbill , I don't know a lot about that , but..I think a steering Damper , is just a small little Shock , kinda looks like one that holds a Hatch open on the back of a Car . and I believe that is to keep the front wheel from having what they call Shimmy , back and forth , ... now thats just my thoughts on this , and may not be the whole story . . . . ohhhhhh by the way , I see your in Tn. . I'm in North East Tn. near Greeneville , 40 miles from the big Bristol Race Track.

mwbill37841":31gkoc0e said:
question..i was looking at side cars and trikes.and i keep seeing something about haveing to have a stering dampner just what is that? and why is it needed?

Steering damper is like a shock absorber for steering movement. Commonly needed on trikes and sidecar bikes to slow steering movement as I understand it. I am not able to explain further but I expect one more experienced will soon.

Ohhhhhh One More Thing , these are the Ends for this Axle .... AND also , the top piece with the splins on the end , slides into the Rear , and where the little Oil Cover is on it at the edge of the shiny part will be taken off ... and a small Flywheel mechined to fit there , and a kind of Bell Housing made to hold a small starter to enguage that little flywheel , and that will turn backwards.....and THAT will be the Reverse.

image.php

looks cool,ok i,m about 4 hrs. from bristle, down on the border off 27. ne of knoxville . but i have worked out of elizbethton. and kingston. if i ever get this thing going i'll give you a holler and maybe we can do a dayride. bill] did some boiler work in greenville once.

ohhhhhhhhhhh yeah we live 12 miles out of Greeneville , up 11E towards Johnson City. I am building this 1980 1100 into this Trike....hope to be finished by spring or at least summer........... and maybe we can ride some....... we would love it.

Thanks Dan , yep , we got a Matching Pair of Work Benches , :smilie_happy: we're pretty easy to please on the small stuff......... like the Hippys used to say about 1969 , theres only 2 rules in life .....1st. rule Never Sweat the Small Stuff , 2nd. rule EVERYTHING is Small Stuff . :smilie_happy:

Latest posts