Need advice again! Car trouble...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AAMCO just called.
He said it's engine misfire related (couldn't/didn't tell exact code) and needs $150 for diagnostics.
Then depending on what's wrong, it will obviously cost more.

Should I let him run the diagnostics?

Ford? I had two Taurus's and whenever I got the engine misfire code, it was always the spark plug wires (per the code). I would change the plugs and wires and be on my way! :music2:

This van's got fairly high mileage (288,000 miles) and of unknown service records (though it was commecially used so must have been maintained properly to some extent) so I don't really mind going through check-ups. I guess if I can trust him or not..
AAMCOs have good reputation? Or it depends on individual franchise?

okay..

So the alternative will be buying a code reader and find out exactly what it is?
Are the codes that specific?
I can certainly change plugs and wires myself.

Called AAMCO to let them know I wouldn't go thru $150 diagnostics.
Obviously they were not happy..
But they finally gave me the exact code. P0300. multiple cylinder misfiring.

Just last week my brothers ford pickup lost power and felt like transmission slipping. One mechanic said needs rebuilt. Another mechanic had the smarts to check the engine first. Turned out the spark plugs were worn down to a nub. New plugs and runs like new.
In auto repairs depends so much on the experience of the guy working on it, same with those trouble codes.

Agreed. I'd replace the plugs and plug wires. Disconnect the battery when you are doing the job. It might take the computer a bit of rough running time to reset. Not sure but there was a time that they ( the car computers) had to normalize. See if the light stays off or returns.

Misfire codes are ALWAYS cylinder specific, with the exception of the P0300 code, which is "random misfire detected". THat means the PCM can't determine which cylinder is misfiring. Otherwise, the codes will correspond to specific cylinders, ie: P0301= cyl 1 misfire, P0302= cyl 2 misfire, etc.
Depending on what engine you have, a misfire on a Ford V8 gas engine could wind up costing quite a bit. No plug wires to deal with, as the coils are directly mounted to the plugs. Spark plugs breaking off in the cylinder heads are super common, and can add hours to the repair cost. Coils fail regularly, too. I've seen several issues with the connectors for the fuel infectors causing misfires, also.
As far as AAMCO, there are good ones, and bad ones, same as any other franchise. Google the shop, and check for reviews. One good thing aboot AAMCO is corporate will get involved quickly in most cases if there is a dispute, or complaint.....and the shop usually looses.

+1 on the plugs, coil packs etc. if you can leave plugs soaking with penetrating oil etc it may help avoid broken plugs when removing. The other trick is a good quality plug socket and to make sure that you don't lean it off the center line when twisting the plugs undone.

Well,

I bought the new plugs and googling how to change them. It's fairly complicated. :head bang:

My wife needs the van tomorrow morning. I wonder if I can finish it today... (now it's 3PM here in so Cal.)
Better research it well first and do it on weekends?

The thing is my son and I are going dirt-bike riding/camping again this three day weekend.
Do you think I can hold off plug change until after that trip?

It's 230 miles round trip of freeway driving.

Good for you Not paying them $150 , i have a OBD scanner for all 4 of my cars/trucks think it was $110 bucks. the codes all are very generic all are the same for dodge chevy ferd , My GMC Savana work van has 296.000 miles all original , hoping for 100.000 more miles . But we all gotta get with the new ECU program and i realized that after 4 years with the scan tool reading and clearing codes i have finally got out of the stone age and saved $$$$$ finding codes,,, Google is your friend ! Good luck on your sparklers ! Mine really suck on my van also,, they are right up against the frame ..I pulled the inner Fender rubber and had to remove the front tire to access. Best Greg btw Gas cap loose will throw a code every friggen time lol

I gave up doing plugs today and drank beer. LOL
The van only needs to go less than 10 miles tomorrow and it's city driving so that should be fine.

The question is this weekend's 230 mile trip. I have a good track record here (three major break-downs with AAA towing involved with Jeep. LOL)
So I think the van will survive. :hihihi: