Need advice again! Car trouble...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fords like to eat coils,i sell a bunch of em at work

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

If it's the same as my old ford van doing the plugs, just need a long extension maybe a long and short. Definataely needed to have the rubber piece in the socket to hold the plug and lift out.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173863#p173863:2x2i9koo said:
slabghost » Tue May 24, 2016 4:59 pm[/url]":2x2i9koo]
Try a quart of ATF in the fuel at fill ups. Might clean it enough to run right on the trip.

Yes Sir!

BTW, I didn't feel any misfiring last Saturday. Is that because this is a V8 engine?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173864#p173864:1try68f0 said:
Dusterdude » Tue May 24, 2016 5:01 pm[/url]":1try68f0]
Fords like to eat coils,i sell a bunch of em at work

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

So I should replace coils also. Considering the hassle, I will do it together with spark plugs.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173865#p173865:3a1h8sw5 said:
dan filipi » Tue May 24, 2016 5:08 pm[/url]":3a1h8sw5]
If it's the same as my old ford van doing the plugs, just need a long extension maybe a long and short. Definataely needed to have the rubber piece in the socket to hold the plug and lift out.

I watched YouTube how-to. Not sure what model year, though.
There are V2 and V3 engines? What are they? Which one is mine?

I wish this was a Ford Cosworth DFV engine on Formula One car.
So easy to change plugs.

engine_ford_cosworth_DFV.jpg

Boy this thread took off..When you remove the wire from the plug give it a good twist around before you pull the wire off, the rubber insulators tend to fuse to the spark plugs and if you tear it you find yourself cutting the rubber off to get the socket on.
When you loosen the plug if it doesn't break free with a 1/4 turn send it back in and gently seat it then turn back out, if it turns the 1/4 turn easily then go 1/2 then seat it again and so on till it comes out..the reason is carbon will build in the lower part of the threads and you want to break it off gently and not pull the threads..I am guessing it has aluminum heads.
I have heard this is a problem with the triton motors, not sure what yours is.

Well, I slept on it.
Now I am a bit chickening out...

The possiblity of spark plug breaking off in the head is a major concern. There seems to be an extracter available but it costs $100..? What if that doesn't work?

I don't have a garage space thanks to my collection of vintage motorcycles (LOL) so the work has to be done in the drive way. That means I cannot leave the van for an extended period if something goes wrong..

Plus I am kinda busy with Bridgestone rebuild (yes, excuses, excuses..)

Maybe it's best to leave it with experienced mechanic...
That local AAMCO got mixed reputation as usual. It's hard to tell.
Hmmmm...

I understand. Sometimes just easier to get someone else to do it.
I have a customer with a mechanic she highly recommends but he's near me in Chatsworth if you're willing to make the trip.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173891#p173891:217d84nv said:
dan filipi » Wed May 25, 2016 6:06 am[/url]":217d84nv]
I understand. Sometimes just easier to get someone else to do it.
I have a customer with a mechanic she highly recommends but he's near me in Chatsworth if you're willing to make the trip.

Thanks.

I guess I can carry my trusty XT500 on the van then leave the van in Chatsworth and go home.
In any case, the repair cannot be completed before this weekend so I have to risk the break-down.. LOL

I will ask my neighbor who has a Ford truck based motorhome. He may know a good mechanic nearby.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173892#p173892:3rgr55zi said:
mcgovern61 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:12 am[/url]":3rgr55zi]
Yep, when stuck between a rock and a hard place, sometimes it is best to let the shop do the work and get it over with.

If it was a motorcycle, I will do it myself.
The van is so huge and my driveway is sloped that I cannot even push it.

Well now...hang on a minnit....do you actually FEEL a misfire while driving??
A check engine light coming on while driving doesn't mean imminent failure, and getting stuck on the side of the road. Especially if it is just a misfire issue. No reason on earth to get worried about not being able to make the trip. Heck, if I worried about it every time one of my vehicles thru a check engine light, I'd never get to go anywhere! :smilie_happy: I wouldn't put off a weekend of fun just for the light coming on like that, but that's just me.
Changing the sparkleplugs on the 3 valve Triton engines is a big job.....worse in a van. You never said what engine your van has, so we're all speculating about that. SO....what engine does it have in it, anyway? Let's get that info out there, so we'll know what we're talking about to begin with....it might not be an issue at all.
If the vehicle is running ok, all the fluids look good, and there's no funky noises from it anywhere, I'd say you'd be fine on the trip. :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173910#p173910:1ypgho8d said:
AApple » Wed May 25, 2016 7:44 am[/url]":1ypgho8d]
Well now...hang on a minnit....do you actually FEEL a misfire while driving??
A check engine light coming on while driving doesn't mean imminent failure, and getting stuck on the side of the road. Especially if it is just a misfire issue. No reason on earth to get worried about not being able to make the trip. Heck, if I worried about it every time one of my vehicles thru a check engine light, I'd never get to go anywhere! :smilie_happy: I wouldn't put off a weekend of fun just for the light coming on like that, but that's just me.
Changing the sparkleplugs on the 3 valve Triton engines is a big job.....worse in a van. You never said what engine your van has, so we're all speculating about that. SO....what engine does it have in it, anyway? Let's get that info out there, so we'll know what we're talking about to begin with....it might not be an issue at all.
If the vehicle is running ok, all the fluids look good, and there's no funky noises from it anywhere, I'd say you'd be fine on the trip. :yes:

I was going to go camping anyways. I am used to break-downs thanks to now sold-off Jeep Liberty. LOL

How can I check what engine the van got?
It was really hard for me to find out it was 4.6 liter one. I think I saw a sticker saying 4.6L under the hood.

It's 2011 E-150 and the emblem on the rear door says "AdvanceTrac RSC". It got full windows so maybe it is based on a passenger van. Does it help?

As for the noises, oddness, etc. I didn't notice anything on Saturday (the day the warning light started coming on).
Wait a minute.. one thing I noticed yesterday to/from AAMCO. If I push the gas pedal while the van is rolling around 10~20 MPH, I sometimes feel some jerky-ness. That might not have been there before this warning light incident. But the speed higher than that or during normal acceleration, it feels just fine.

From another VIN decoding site:

Engine Order Code 99W
Engine Type Gas/Ethanol V8
Displacement 4.6L/281
Fuel System SMPI
SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM 225 @ 4800
SAE Net Torque @ RPM 286 @ 3500

And it is a commercial cargo van. So I guess they put windows later..

:good:
Only two choices for it anyway, I believe....the 4.6, or the 5.4 Triton. Plug changes on the 4.6 are "normal"....no goofiness with breaking them off or anything. :clapping: They are kinda hard to get to due to other crap being packaged on top of them, but no where near as big a pita as the Triton engines. :Egyptian:

The jerking that you mention is the misfire, and most likely due to a failing coil or coils. Super common on Fords these days. While not cheap to do, it's best to replace all the coils at the same time, if you can afford to do so. Same thing with the sparkle plugs....don't just change one or two to "fix" the misfire as a lot of folks do, shops included.
From the info you have given, and the half-a$$ed info from AAMCO, I say take your trip and enjoy it....work on the van when you have the time and $$$ to fool with it(or have the time/$$$$ to take it somewhere for a tune-up). :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173920#p173920:19x65s1v said:
AApple » Wed May 25, 2016 9:27 am[/url]":19x65s1v]
:good:
Only two choices for it anyway, I believe....the 4.6, or the 5.4 Triton. Plug changes on the 4.6 are "normal"....no goofiness with breaking them off or anything. :clapping: They are kinda hard to get to due to other crap being packaged on top of them, but no where near as big a pita as the Triton engines. :Egyptian:

The jerking that you mention is the misfire, and most likely due to a failing coil or coils. Super common on Fords these days. While not cheap to do, it's best to replace all the coils at the same time, if you can afford to do so. Same thing with the sparkle plugs....don't just change one or two to "fix" the misfire as a lot of folks do, shops included.
From the info you have given, and the half-a$$ed info from AAMCO, I say take your trip and enjoy it....work on the van when you have the time and $$$ to fool with it(or have the time/$$$$ to take it somewhere for a tune-up). :yes:

No need to worry about plugs break off!
That's a great news!
And I can go camping w/o worry!
Thank you Sir!

I will think again as to who will change plugs/coils. Now that I have plenty of time, maybe I will do it if I cannot find a good mechanic.