Need advice again! Car trouble...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have factory service manuals for all my stuff, even tho I have access to both Mitchell and Alldata online. The factory stuff is far mo betta, and more complete. If you plan on doing the maintenance and repairs on the van yourself, the initial cost of the factory manual(s) will be well worth it.

Just an update.
We came back safely from the desert camping trip.

IMG_20160529_083937.jpg

I didn't even feel that low speed misfiring. The car fixed itself? LOL.

I ordered the cheapy coils. Denso appears to be the Original Equipment for this E150 and only got 1 year warranty, the same as the cheapy.

Thanks again, every one!

Another update.

Replaced plugs and coils this morning. It took around 4 hours. One coil boot stuck to the plug cavity and a little difficult to remove but otherwise eventless.

Electrodes are completely worn out. This is supposed to be platinum plug but thin platinum portion is gone and looks like conventional plug with huge gap. LOL
IMG_20160605_092901.jpg

Drove around the neighborhood and warning light was off (left it w/o battery connected overnight to reset.) Hopefully stays that way on freeway.

Right (passenger) side bank have a slight oil leak between the head and cylinder block?
IMG_20160605_114400.jpg

Transmission appears to be serviced on 3-14-2013...

From the looks of that plug it looks like it has about 200k miles on it, not a good thing. Your oil leak is another matter, you need to face the fact the with about 300k on that engine it is about shot. You spend the money to replace that head gasket I fear you will be throwing good money away. Now if you can afford it, get a manufactured engine and replace the old one. I doubt if that transmission has 300k on it but if just might. A couple years ago I rebuilt a Ford 5.4, it isn't an easy engine to rebuild, I can assure you of that. If you decide to replace it, PM me and I will put you in touch with a company that has top of the line reman engines, and at reasonable prices. Example 5.4 is about 1200 dollars exchange.

Check out the ford forums, you may gain some other insights from them.

Could very well be the case but if all the plugs look as clean as that one is not showing oil burning, there could be a lot of life left in that engine.
I wouldn't jump the gun just yet. That oil could be accumulated from a long time. Heck my 06 Chevy van engine with 86 k miles on it has almost that much built up.
I'd pressure wash the area clean and keep an eye on it. When clean you can better source where it's coming from.

Good to know I can get reliable rebuilt engine for a reasonable price. I didn't spend much on the van so another $1200 is not a problem.

The oil leak doesn't seem to be major. I mean the van doesn't mark the territory on my drive way. I don't think it smokes badly either.

So far, the van successfully transported my son and I and two motorcycles back and forth on 250 miles trip three times. Even though the last two runs were with the warning light on or blinking. I got good mileage also (16MPG).

We will do that kind of trip maybe 10 times a year. So it's only 3000 miles a year. Hopefully it will last several years that way. Then my son will grow up and maybe he won't want to go riding with me any more.. LOL

The oil leak won't cause a catastrophic failure, will it?
If not, I can live with it.

Again I am used to break-downs with Jeep Liberty. LOL

Seriously though, what kind of symptoms will be the indicator for engine swap?

When you need to add a quart of oil every fill up. That's a pretty good indication the motor is about done. And it still may last years.I've run many that looked a lot worse.

Latest posts