Not A Wing, But Still A Boxer Engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

I decided to do an alternator conversion. I picked up a '65 Corvair alternator for $20 on Craigslist, and decided to try an experiment. I found a new-looking alternator on a mid-80's Buick Century at Pick-Your-Part for $30, checked it out, and it's good. I removed the front housings from both, and just as I hoped for, the Corvair front slid right onto the Buick rear/internals! I did install a new bearing while I was in there. I now have a 90 amp alternator instead of a maybe-30-amp generator. It's internally regulated, so I can lose the old regulator, and just a few minor wiring mods are all that's needed.

Corvair front housing:

Junkyard alternator:

And the 2 are now 1:

I also started cleaning up the cylinders from the spare engine. I'm still sold on Evapo-Rust!

And another engine to play with will arrive next month...a filthy, but mostly complete, 140 HP, 4-carbs, and high compression heads.

The fun and games continue!

Nice call on the hybrid alternator Steve, you sold me on evaporust when you used it on the Rats Nest :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158938#p158938:buy2s9kp said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:51 pm[/url]":buy2s9kp]
Nice work Steve! (Don't look now, that Corvair is getting Hooched!) :yes: :hihihi:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158938#p158938:246cyuzq said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:51 am[/url]":246cyuzq]
Nice work Steve! (Don't look now, that Corvair is getting Hooched!) :yes: :hihihi:
You mean like this?

Nah...just an alternative alternator alteration, although the 140 engine would be sweet!

High lift cams and C5 ignition. Some creative timing and carburetion can make a stock looking motor scream.

Good progress today! I rebuilt both carbs - the idle circuit was completely blocked in one of them, and the float levels were way off. The car was running good, but only because of the vacuum balance tube that runs between both manifolds. It covers up a lot of carb issues on these engines.

I removed the top engine cover and oil separator, and found a surprisingly clean crankcase! Most of the cover bolts were barely hand-tight, which explains the oil all over the engine. The rod bearings are all nice and tight, and the piston skirts look new!

Cylinder crosshatch is also like new...

Cleaned up the cover and oil separator, pressed the new blower bearing into the cover, and installed them.

The upper shroud and fan are in place. The alternator/oil filter/fuel pump/oil filler adapter is in place, along with a new fuel pump and oil filter.

The idler pulley and new alternator are next...then a new belt...then the carbs. A couple of wire splices for the alternator conversion, and she will run. I also have new spark plugs, points, condenser, distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires to be installed...then set the timing and sync the carbs.

More progress...got the rebuilt carbs installed, the alternator in place, the wiring modified, all the tune-up parts installed, and everybody's favorite - the quadruple-twisted blower belt nice and snug. Buttoned everything up, and...

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jIuZbjt6Hg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

She runs sweet! I still need to balance the carbs and set the timing. My body is not happy, but my mind is thrilled!!

Latest posts