Single Carb Setup...(or let the flaming begin! :o) )

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dan filipi":lv80wxsa said:
Tell us more! What happened?

All I can say right now is that LD is a nice person, but has too many things on his plate right now. I will update in detail after the carburetor issue is solved. I don't want anything I say to affect the outcome.

I'm curious about the single carb setup. Why wouldn't a single carb work as well on a four cyl. Wing engine as it does on a four cyl car engine. I don't understand. This make for great reading (and dreaming!) I still have my alternator conversion to do ,I pick up the crank pulley tomorrow and will do it at the end of riding season.

Running a single carb on my bike that was made/produced by CycleInnovations that has since went out of business, so the answer is it has been done. And with any conversion their is always alot of tinkering along with lots of patience. :hi: Bob

badorderbob":3hthifjw said:
Running a single carb on my bike that was made/produced by CycleInnovations that has since went out of business, so the answer is it has been done. And with any conversion their is always alot of tinkering along with lots of patience. :hi: Bob

Well keeping the stock rack takes a lot of patience also so is a single worth the effort?

I thought LD's setup was suppose to be turn key. Is there a design out there that's a simple bolt on and ride?

I've tried to make sense of the long winded threads over at Saunders but I can't and I don't have enough patience to read thru over 1000 posts.

I'd love to see a straight forward thread geared specifically to installation and adjustments of a system that works.
I need to do something soon, my number 2 carb is acting up again.

dan filipi":kt6tsmm0 said:
badorderbob":kt6tsmm0 said:

Well keeping the stock rack takes a lot of patience also so is a single worth the effort?

I thought LD's setup was suppose to be turn key. Is there a design out there that's a simple bolt on and ride?

I've tried to make sense of the long winded threads over at Saunders but I can't and I don't have enough patience to read thru over 1000 posts.

I'd love to see a straight forward thread geared specifically to installation and adjustments of a system that works.
I need to do something soon, my number 2 carb is acting up again.

In my case, the LD conversion definitely was not turn key. Give me a little more time, and I'll fill in with the details in my case.

I'm with you Dan.
Something simple that works!
But it's sure interesting reading. I tend to think that most good products are the result of somone tinkering and thinking,so I'm happy for all you who have the itch!! Just keep scratching for the rest of us!!! What is the LD conversion??
David
david

Dan the post over at SS was a varity of posts put together. And it has always been the hope there would be a bolt on plugnplay set up. CC had one back in the late seventies or about and CI produced one and then went out of business. And there have been many others who have built theirs not so help with an itch,.. but out of being tired of or spending so much money on the Oems so they tried another way. I always feel I have to defend using a single carb setup wither it be here or over at SS where a big blow up was curtailed by the mods. It's always a shame when one has diffculties wither with Oems or trying other opitions and they don't work. If you can get your Oems to work then by all means do it but what bothers me is when at least we are trying to get our bikes back on the road, some are slamed for trying the Single Carb Conversions. I'm will say I'm sorry to hear of Tumunga's experience. Doing any conversion like the one with the alt. conversion was not a plug n play, it took patience, tinkering, and the will to succed not matter what one said about it. And I'm sure some said why not just put the Oem back in instead of all the labor put into it. I guess because you could and being the alt is in a place to change out comes down to comparsion with the single barrel experience,......simplicity. Again sorry it didn't work out for Mr. T and I hope ya get your bike back on the road, that's what it's all about no matter how it's done!!! Later :hi: Bob

Oh, no problems here. I love the idea of a single carburetor to play with. The only thing is the LD conversion is advertised as being simple, and in one of the posts by LD (or his buddy) it was said the conversion would be up and running in 1 hour. That's why I shelled out $513 for the carb and the intake. I pulled off a good set of factory carbs to put the single on my bike. Shoot, I put off buying a real nice road sofa to put that thing on my bike. For that kind of money, it's supposed to work as advertised. It didn't for me. I piddled with that thing for 3 weeks trying to get it going. Me, LD, and his friend, went back and forth through numerous emails, and couldn't get anything to work. Once I get the carburetor refund issue resolved, I'll get back with you all.

Just for the record, I pulled the LD intake off the bike, and had my carbs back on there and running like a top in 1 hour, so I guess in that respect, what I read was correct.

badorderbob":1ccw69sl said:
what bothers me is when at least we are trying to get our bikes back on the road, some are slamed for trying the Single Carb Conversions. Bob

That bothers me too Bob and point well taken about the mods necessary for an alternator conversion, which gets slammed also :evil:

As anyone here and at Saunders will tell you, I'm the type that thinks outside the box (alt on mine, swapped gears, 1100 radiator into a 1200) and welcome any discussions about ALL non OEM mods be it a single carb setup, external alternator, whatever.

We've been very fortunate with a great bunch of guys here. I cant think of one flame thread in the 3 years this forum has been up. Even with this post title " Single Carb Setup...(or let the flaming begin! :eek:) )" the discussion has been light.

So anyway, back to the topic at hand......

I have a rack from the parts bike I'm thinking of rebuilding to put on my runner but it seems like I can build a plenum and get a carb for less than a Randakk kit. Is that true?
PVC is super simple to work with (even a caveman could do it) but does PVC and the glue hold up to the heat and fuel?

I'd like to hear more from Tumunga about what the problems were before deciding.

dan if i wasnt so striched out right now i would do something with pvc its tough stuff and if it breaks its usealy not at the joint

im starting to see that making intersection on the manifold sould be done as close as possible to heads and ithink that theres nothing wrong with90 degree angles

this makes the shortest route and also brings the inconsistancy of the maniffold as close as possible to the pistons and minamizing the effect it can have on things

i think this approach is where im going with this .... so my aproach to this idealy would be strait pipe through the middle with carb in middle a t on each end of pipe

with 90 going in the heads thats idealy ....but we know that the intakes are pointed to the middle and not towards each other and there is the offset issue from side to side clylinders....in my new thinking the rule of thumb is longest run of consistancy ,with the shortess run of inconsistancy as possible....im convinced this will work great

in my mind this is going to make dailing thing in a breeze cant wait till i can try this :headscratch: :laptop: :headscratch: cant wait to :builder:

WindNWing":u0zmoure said:
If anyone is interested, I just saw this single carburetor intake on Ebay. The bid is at $152.50 with three days left.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-Hon ... ccessories

This is the same intake I have on my 1100 and I am well pleased with it.

I've got an almost new volkswagon carb with about 20 miles on it I'll sell for $100. It needs a throttle arm. I had to trim it down to try to get the factory cable to connect to it with that fabulous "plug and play" installation with LDWingnut's wonderfully designed intake... :sensored:

That little experiment left a bad taste in my mouth, not unlike a spoon full of meat eating buzzard crap.

dan filipi":cdx7wpvr said:
I still would like to know why LD's setup wouldn't work Eric.
I've read timing needs to be changed quite a lot which I know is a problem with an 1100 but otherwise?

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work, but it didn't, and LD couldn't tell me why it wouldn't work. I will tell you the instructions packed with the kit were pitiful. My ten year old nephew with downs syndrome could have written better instructions.

Second, the carburetor didn't come with the correct jets, nor anything else that the pitiful instructions said would be with the carburetor. Being excited to have this conversion work, I drove about 100 miles round trip to purchase jets from a Volkswagon shop.

From what I could tell of the intake, the paint was nice, but the assembly left a little to be desired. First, inside the intake, I believe everything is supposed to be smooth to allow a nice flow from the carb to the head. Whoever put the intake together didn't care about this. the hole that was bored in the top cross pipe was apparently drilled off center. When the carb mount tube was placed in the hole, there was an ledge inside the intake of about 1/8". I have pictures at home of this. LD said this shouldn't be a problem...ha! I pulled the intake off numerous times trying to figure out what was going on, and every time I pulled it off, the intake had gasoline in it. It would just pour out of the intake, about twice as much as the leftover beer in an empty beer can. I never had this problem with the factory carbs.

I have pictures of this problem that I'll post later on when I'm back on. Plus, I'll let you know about the linkage problem that I was apparently too stupid to figure out...

tumunga":2xlunehw said:
WindNWing":2xlunehw said:
If anyone is interested, I just saw this single carburetor intake on Ebay. The bid is at $152.50 with three days left.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-Hon ... ccessories

This is the same intake I have on my 1100 and I am well pleased with it.

I've got an almost new volkswagon carb with about 20 miles on it I'll sell for $100. It needs a throttle arm. I had to trim it down to try to get the factory cable to connect to it with that fabulous "plug and play" installation with LDWingnut's wonderfully designed intake... :sensored:

That little experiment left a bad taste in my mouth, not unlike a spoon full of meat eating buzzard crap.

I wondered how that carb return would go for you.As a parts man carburators are in no way returnable once fuel hits them,even with out the linkage mod.
Defect issues have to first get aproval from manufacturer,and are then exchange only.

A pain I know well,but we are in the middle between the installer and manufacturer.

The majority of my business is with profesional mechanics,but every so often some young punk kid will want a 750 holley for his 305 chevy "because he knows more than me" and gets ticked when I wont sell it to him :roll:

There is to little money in HI-PO and to much in paint to waste a day arguing with the manufacturer on why there BIG carb wont run right on his little engine :Awe: (sorry,of topic vent)

I dont know the story of where the carb came from,whether it was LD or another suplier so no offense meant,but I was waiting to here if you got youre money back.

dan filipi":2vtaodz5 said:
badorderbob":2vtaodz5 said:
what bothers me is when at least we are trying to get our bikes back on the road, some are slamed for trying the Single Carb Conversions. Bob

That bothers me too Bob and point well taken about the mods necessary for an alternator conversion, which gets slammed also :evil:

As anyone here and at Saunders will tell you, I'm the type that thinks outside the box (alt on mine, swapped gears, 1100 radiator into a 1200) and welcome any discussions about ALL non OEM mods be it a single carb setup, external alternator, whatever.

We've been very fortunate with a great bunch of guys here. I cant think of one flame thread in the 3 years this forum has been up. Even with this post title " Single Carb Setup...(or let the flaming begin! :eek:) )" the discussion has been light.

So anyway, back to the topic at hand......

I have a rack from the parts bike I'm thinking of rebuilding to put on my runner but it seems like I can build a plenum and get a carb for less than a Randakk kit. Is that true?
PVC is super simple to work with (even a caveman could do it) but does PVC and the glue hold up to the heat and fuel?

I'd like to hear more from Tumunga about what the problems were before deciding.

All very true.These bikes are riders,and the best honda ever built in my mind.Some times we make changes to make them live longer or do something better honda didnt plan on.These are not classic vincents and personal libertys are alowed.

As for this group,this is the only forum that I dont recall some big pi$$ing macth over some dumb differance of opinion.This topic is as touchy as oil,and this is the only group I know that has handled it so maturly.And that include NGW and SS.

Perhaps its because 1100 owners are all cut from the same clothe?

Tory":121p63ll said:
Sorry,I just read youre last post.
I was thinking the carb came from a diferant source,and you wanted to just return it as uneeded.

The thing is I paid LD for the carburetor, not the drop shipper, and LD should have given my money back for the carburetor.

See, the goldwing throttle cable is too short for the base plate throttle cable mount that was put on the intake. I told LD his plate wasn't set up right, and he told me it was my "non factory" cable. I have a nice set of motion pros on there, plus the old factory cable was still in the drawer. They're both identical. LD then sent me a "factory cable" from Korea or somewhere. It was the exact same length as my Motion Pro, although not built as well. The person he had clearly put this intake together incorrectly.

When LD or his buddy told me to do a little fabricating to make it work, I chose to modify the throttle arm on the carburetor instead of hacking on the intake, since the carb was about $120 cheaper than the intake. If I hacked the intake, I'm sure he would have been bitching about that as well. At that point, I was damned if I did, and damned if I didn't. Returning everything unused wasn't an option, because I bought it to install it, not to leave it sitting in it's box on my work bench.

Latest posts