Single Carb Setup...(or let the flaming begin! :o) )

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pins and needles waiting for results on this to ,interesting post on saunders forum on i think 2 pockets author hes putting on same deal i think some neat info on getting it dial in after its running you might want to look at tumunga

joedrum":10brlfps said:
pins and needles waiting for results on this to ,interesting post on saunders forum on i think 2 pockets author hes putting on same deal i think some neat info on getting it dial in after its running you might want to look at tumunga

Got it running Saturday evening. Had to do a little fabrication on the throttle arm (cutting and grinding), and a trip to Buggy Works in Martinsville to purchase a universal linkage kit to make my old pull cable work. After double springing the throttle return, and more cutting on the cable, I got it going. I'll try to remember to take a video of it running before I start slapping everything back together.

Electric choke seems to work. I connected it to the ACC connection in the fuse box. Blew the 30-year-old 5amp fuse quick, so put another one in it. The choke opened up after the engine was almost warm, so had to use the throttle lock for a couple minutes.

I've got to put the stainless lines on the front, and then I start putting everything back together this afternoon. Hopefully will be running when the riding weather hits this weekend.

The guy that builds them is dealing with a blood clot right now, so giving technical advice from him is the last thing on his mind, but he is buying me a Genuine Honda pull cable for my motorcycle. He says they're a little longer than the Motion Pro cables I have now, which would have kept me from the cutting and grinding.

yea yea yea how dose it run , iwant to see, spill the beans man, come on , hurry up, your killing me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im glad the enisul test went good cant wait for more info

joedrum":ia0a3a07 said:
yea yea yea how dose it run , iwant to see, spill the beans man, come on , hurry up, your killing me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyday I go out there and start it. Starts right up, but doesn't choke the same as the factory carbs. Having trouble bleeding the brakes. Ever since I switched out the lines, I got no pedal whatsoever, front and back. Fluids getting through the system, and not leaking anywhere, so rebuilding the masters is what's on the list now...

tumunga":187ivvrv said:
joedrum":187ivvrv said:

Everyday I go out there and start it. Starts right up, but doesn't choke the same as the factory carbs. Having trouble bleeding the brakes. Ever since I switched out the lines, I got no pedal whatsoever, front and back. Fluids getting through the system, and not leaking anywhere, so rebuilding the masters is what's on the list now...
Eric, do you know about the trick of tipping your calipers up while bleeding?

Unbolt the caliper (front and back work the same way) and tip it up so that the bleeder screw is at the very top and then bleed them. You may have to refill the resevoir a few times while bleeding, but don't let it get close to halfway down (again either front or back) or you will never get the air out.

One thing on the brakes when you do the bleeding (and I'm sure you'll get alot of advice), once you get some type of pressure build up the hand brake and tie it off and let set over night. You can also do the same for the rear brake using weights. This will help force air up to the Masters and bleed again. I just did the rebuild on mine and new lines and pads, not one. It'll come just be patience. Hope this Helps!! :hi: Later Bob

hope the brake bleeding going good for you i dont think the master clylinder is bad . its just a pain to bleed this setup . the air usealy gets caught in the piston itself and tilting the calipers to where the bleeder is strait above the piston without taking it totaly off the disc works pretty well and i like some of the other comments to good luck again eric

Dan Your sites screwing up again,..#3 times to sign in and lost my Reply post :head bang: :head bang: :crying: :crying: !!! Try again, Eric the brakes are working great and a big difference in stopping, too :clapping: !! Today I put on a new starter/selonoid and checked the infamous 3yellow, GUESS WHAT , almost burnt one into :heat: :heat: Wow that was close :swoon: !! Now I'm going to tackle putting on my Weber Holly 32/36 carb, hoping this time it won't backfire like the last time :beg: !!! Ended up the diaphram spring was out of place :Awe: . I thouht it bent a valve but was lucky the belt just jumped a couple teeth :laptop: :laptop: , short story she's running great :music2: :music: !! When I get the carb installed I'll post the outcome :hi: Later,Bob

joedrum":36tfawv2 said:
hope the brake bleeding going good for you i dont think the master clylinder is bad . its just a pain to bleed this setup . the air usealy gets caught in the piston itself and tilting the calipers to where the bleeder is strait above the piston without taking it totaly off the disc works pretty well and i like some of the other comments to good luck again eric

Got the brakes bled. The rear brakes are the best since I've owned the bike, the front are tons better than what they were before, but not as firm the boy's Suzuki. Oh well, comparing them now to what they were is like night and day. I ended up rebuilding the front master as well. That was pretty easy.

The backrest and I took the bike for a spin today before the Butler/Michigan State game (Butler won, if you didn't know...go Bulldogs!) The bike ran fine, but when I hit the throttle, it acts like it's running low on gas. I turned the fuel mixture screw out one more turn, but didn't take the bike out again. Gonna test it tomorrow, but in the meantime, if anyone has any advice on how to adjust that single barrel carburetor, I'm all ears!

Not trying to hijack my own thread...wait a minute...my thread, so it's not hijacking!! :smilie_happy: Here's a really informative video on basic motorcycle brake bleeding. Plain and simple:

badorderbob":1sw6xxl6 said:
Dan Your sites screwing up again,..#3 times to sign in and lost my Reply post

Again?

I think your the only one, nobody else has said anything.

Morning Dan, I'd sign in , then post, then submit and it wanted me to sign in again, 3times in a row. It's working fine now, no big deal except I keep losing my posts and train of thought :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: !! Have a Good Day, :hi: Bob

badorderbob":7np74r2u said:
Morning Dan, I'd sign in , then post, then submit and it wanted me to sign in again, 3times in a row. It's working fine now, no big deal except I keep losing my posts and train of thought :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: !! Have a Good Day, :hi: Bob

That used to happen to me alot when I would use my computer at work to sign in to the board. It hasn't happened since the upgrade.

It got to where I would write my posts in notepad, and then paste them to the board when I could get it running. I think it had something to do with the way the network at my job handled the cookies.

I think it had something to do with the way the network at my job handled the cookies.

Most likely a browser cookie problem.
When I was restoring posts from the old forum I had log in problems when I used the same browser to log in to 2 different message boards on the same server. Once I cleared all the cookies from the browser all was well again unless I went to the other board, apparently the browser would get confused.
Anyway, clearing (deleting) your browsers cookies will take care of that problem.

Any more discussions about this should be done in the "Forum Tutorials" section instead of here, this thread is about Single carbs so back on topic please.

So now we have all the posting issues out of the way :heat: ,........Tumunga did you get your new set up running OK??? :hi: Bob

tumunga":3omj52o2 said:
badorderbob":3omj52o2 said:
So now we have all the posting issues out of the way :heat: ,........Tumunga did you get your new set up running OK??? :hi: Bob

Still tinkering...re-jetting...all that good stuff. Please stand by....

Ok, let's just go with a big fat "NOPE".

That project, for me, didn't turn out quite as advertised. The factory carbs are back on the bike, and I'm glad they are. I'll update later. Got $313 of my $500 back. Still working on the refund for the carburetor. I allegedly "destroyed" it...

tumunga":2r2pfosw said:
tumunga":2r2pfosw said:
badorderbob":2r2pfosw said:

Still tinkering...re-jetting...all that good stuff. Please stand by....

Ok, let's just go with a big fat "NOPE".

That project, for me, didn't turn out quite as advertised. The factory carbs are back on the bike, and I'm glad they are. I'll update later. Got $313 of my $500 back. Still working on the refund for the carburetor. I allegedly "destroyed" it...

Tell us more! What happened?

Dude What Happened :( ??? I know the design was fabbed for a GL1100, but some have used it on 1000's, but had to do a lot more tinkering! I guess on the bright side at least the bikes running. Later :hi: Bob

im starting to see that the single carb setup is very finicky to deal with, probably if the motor is not perfect underneath single carb as in compression ,valves and exhast flow it probably plays havoc on it running right....thers no doubt sync. the carbs has a stabilizing effect on differences from one to another cylinder

it seems to be all pot luck on wheather it works good or not ....theres so many stories one way or another

eric i feel for you ... nothing like a project going strait to the dumper

Latest posts