The Wanderer - Part 2

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention Cycle Recycle has the largest used parts for old Goldwings. I've been shopping there since 2003 or so. Bought a lot of used parts from him over the years as well as new stuff. The used parts are good or he won't sell them. Jerry

Man, what a day. Ice storm came through town (NW Oklahoma) and not good for me since my house is surrounded by huge trees.
Place looks like a war zone and a limb penetrated one of our bedrooms. Fortunately for us, we were not in that room when it hit.
Yesterday before all this, I managed to tear into the carbs to find the source of the fuel leak. Well, I found it. damaged o ring.

Tomorrow will be spent cleaning up the yard. Just going to pay a crew to do it. Too much for one person.

2nd pic shows the limb that went through our master bedroom , very scary when it hit :help:

Attachments

• 2017 ice storm 035.JPG
    2017 ice storm 035.JPG
    457.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 2017 ice storm 026.JPG
    2017 ice storm 026.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 107
There is another place I use for O-rings by the each it's Metric Seals they are also in Indy. If you know the size you need they probably can match it up I've done that several times. They have vicon. With Cycle Recycle and Metric Seals you should be able to get the o-rings you need by the each.. Sorry about the damage from the ice storm glad everyone is ok. The o-ring you need is one I got from them I think. I always replaced all O-rings that I disturbed when going that deep in carb's. The transfer tube's and the 2 small and 2 large one's from carb to air box and the one you need. Hope this help's. I never could afford the Randak's kit and this was my way around it. Jerry

The wanderer is going to have to wait till the weekend. I thought I would take on the yard myself today and now I'm barely able to walk. I signed up for disaster relief and their crew will be by sometime this week to finish cleanup. The hole in our bedroom roof was patched by a roofer. These trees are coming down soon, I'm not going through this again!!
Funny situation happened today amidst all the chaos, the roofer got a peek of the wanderer sitting in the garage and said, " what the hell is that?" I informed him it was an Old goldwing, a work in progress.

Okay, thanks to a disaster crew that came into town Thursday, my yard is finally free and clear of debris.

Finished up the carbs today. There was a missing tiny o ring on carb to plenum, the other half. Also someone had fashioned a guide dowel out of some kind of hard plastic. Anyway, I am waiting on some Harley slip- ons to arrive. Decided to go that route instead of paying out the wazoo for stock on fleebay that are rusted anyway.
I'm excited to get the carbs back on, I bench synced and all floats are set. If she leaks after this, I'm out of ideas.

Will keep you posted.
chow 4 now.

Just replaced rear wheel and now it is difficult to turn. This is a 1980 gl1100 and it only has one spacer between the brake caliper bracket and wheel. I checked the microfish and it only shows that one spacer on the left of the bike. Could a bent swingarm be causing this? The tire isn't rubbing anywhere. This is perplexing. I have not hooked up the brake caliper yet.

Thoughts?

hmmm loosen it up till it turns better ....they were two different set ups on 1100s ..might be the rotor is not the right one ...80 should have comstar wheels ...the offset in the rotor could be wrong for 80 brake set up .....just blabbing stuff i know can happen .....

So I'm finding out some interesting info on the 1980 Gl1100 swingarm but cannot verify yet to be true. Evidently the swingarm was welded on incorrectly at the factory and resulted in a recall which required placing a washer under the axle nut. The flange washers between both the caliper bracket and the wheel and caliper bracket and swingarm only apply to 82 and 83 models.
So I have to remove the axle bolt and shim between the flange washer and caliper bracket to get caliper to center on brake disk. Then go to the right side and place a washer under the axle bolt.

Man, if someone out there has a 1980 Gl1100 apart(or not apart) that can verify this, that would be great!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186428#p186428:1wy54zf9 said:
made2care » Yesterday, 11:18 pm[/url]":1wy54zf9]
So I'm finding out some interesting info on the 1980 Gl1100 swingarm but cannot verify yet to be true. Evidently the swingarm was welded on incorrectly at the factory and resulted in a recall which required placing a washer under the axle nut. The flange washers between both the caliper bracket and the wheel and caliper bracket and swingarm only apply to 82 and 83 models.
So I have to remove the axle bolt and shim between the flange washer and caliper bracket to get caliper to center on brake disk. Then go to the right side and place a washer under the axle bolt.

Man, if someone out there has a 1980 Gl1100 apart(or not apart) that can verify this, that would be great!

P.S. My vocab is off a bit here, the flange washer is simply a spacer.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186432#p186432:bnc01ygw said:
dan filipi » 16 minutes ago[/url]":bnc01ygw]
I can't see the picture. Can you copy it and upload here?

I'm still needing to figure out how everything goes back. right now, I have to put a flat washer between the wheel and caliper bracket on the left side to center the rotor with caliper bracket. This washer meets with the axle spacer. There is no spacer between the caliper bracket and swingarm, that I've affirmed. The right side, from what I have read might need a flat washer between teh axle nut and final drive.

Attachments

• 1980 gl1100 swingarm- factory welded collar.JPG
    1980 gl1100 swingarm- factory welded collar.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 69

Latest posts