The Wanderer - Part 2

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186435#p186435:357lqw7y said:
dan filipi » 24 minutes ago[/url]":357lqw7y]
I'm not following how a flat washer under the axle nut changes anything. There should be one there anyhow.

That was my first thought.

Okay, I'm going to have to walk away from this for a couple of days. I have changed many tires over the years and this one is really ticking me off. I've taken it off and put back on all day going according to spec, checking every link I can find and still no luck.
I cant torque the axle nut down as the wheel binds.

The only different step I performed on this tire than all the others is the removal of the spline and I was very careful in putting back together.
I'm done for now !! :help:

P.s I've checked and double checked all spacers and they are good and in the correct spot.

20170129_151845.jpg

20170129_151951.jpg

20170129_153257.jpg

I had the same issue when I got my bike; the axle nut would seat too far to allow proper installation of the cotter pin. Hondapartshouse caliper bracket fische diagram shows the washer I ordered and installed which solved the issue. I also had to replace a ruined rear rotor (not cheap) that was rubbing the inside of the bracket from not being centered. Hope this helps.

Gary H.

P.S. - I'm glad all is well with you and your family after the tree fell.

Personally I have never used a torque wrench on the axles. I always go hand tight and put in the cotter pin. Maybe I'm just lucky but it works for me.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186451#p186451:2a22wj1b said:
gwhsr68 » 28 minutes ago[/url]":2a22wj1b]
View attachment 2

View attachment 1

I had the same issue when I got my bike; the axle nut would seat too far to allow proper installation of the cotter pin. Hondapartshouse caliper bracket fische diagram shows the washer I ordered and installed which solved the issue. I also had to replace a ruined rear rotor (not cheap) that was rubbing the inside of the bracket from not being centered. Hope this helps.

Gary H.

P.S. - I'm glad all is well with you and your family after the tree fell.
file.php

file.php

file.php
Thanks, the roof will be repaired this week. Insurance finally cut us a check and I'm glad its a big one.
I figured out the washer issue and did get the rotor to center and the axle nut to the correct spot. I guess I will go slabghosts suggestion and just hand tight it, then put in a new cotter pin for now. I have to move on to the exhaust , which I was supposed to do today :rant:

Hand tight may be fine with cotter pin to lock in place. :headscratch: Always pull it tight with the right sized wrench, or 1/2" drive rachet myself, no torque wrench for most job's for me, go by feel. :roll: But no objections to anybody else using them. :nea:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186602#p186602:35zcgfwj said:
canuckxxxx » Today, 8:07 am[/url]":35zcgfwj]
What's your plan with the exhaust? :popcorn:

I'm going with Harley sportsters angled slightly upward

I'm suspicious of how restrictive the stock 1100 exhaust is ever since I read the first post of "the story of Hooch". So will be watching with interest. :read:

Did you take a pic of the inside of manifold before you welded the pipe on? Just wondering what that divider thing looks like.

Brian

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186606#p186606:2jkupr8a said:
canuckxxxx » Today, 9:28 am[/url]":2jkupr8a]
I'm suspicious of how restrictive the stock 1100 exhaust is ever since I read the first post of "the story of Hooch". So will be watching with interest. :read:

Did you take a pic of the inside of manifold before you welded the pipe on? Just wondering what that divider thing looks like.

Brian
Sorry no before pic.
I cut the end off where it reduced down, then shortened , then added end back on.
Here's what I'm playing with...
Obviously have to build bracket for this to work and I'm using flex pipe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 94
Thanks.
Here are some more pics. Brackets took a while to make but I'm pleased with the results.

Now for the left side but I might take a movie break :rocks:

P.S. I want to keep the center stand and as you know, the left side can be tricky mounting these pipes at this angle with the center stand being in the way. The stock exhaust has an indentation in the muffler to allow the center stand to come up all the way.
With all this being said, I fashioned an 2 inch extension with a rubber end to prevent the stand from hitting the muffler. I will show the extension when I start on the left side :salute:

Attachments

• goldwing exhaust 008.JPG
    goldwing exhaust 008.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 131
  • goldwing exhaust 009.JPG
    goldwing exhaust 009.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 128
  • goldwing exhaust 010.JPG
    goldwing exhaust 010.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 129
  • goldwing exhaust 011.JPG
    goldwing exhaust 011.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 132
  • goldwing exhaust 012.JPG
    goldwing exhaust 012.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 130
Should work out well, :popcorn: makes them your own when you repurpose parts. :good: Always loved watching Harley riders tear off stock parts, never thinking to save them, to make choppers. :smilie_happy:

Finished pipes last night. Installed carbs . Once carbs filled up she fired up nicely. Carbs are leak free, no more gas in plenum.
I will post a video. I now have a loud clanking sound coming from left side. It seems higher up in the engine. Sounds like something is loose.

Latest posts