gl 1100 engine rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevej's wing

Reaction score
I am thinking on rebuilding a 1100 engine that is on my bench but am finding it hard to get parts. Need rings maybe pistons and main and rod bearings.
Does anyone know of anyone who has these items?
The pistons and rings would be in over size, don't know what size yet, all depends on what I can get.
Don't want to go to much over size, that is if these blocks will even do oversize.
I want to get rid of the rust that is on 2 cylinder walls and hone or over size is the only way to get rid of it.
Can you even get away with honing to say 3 thousand oversize and just get oversize rings?
Getting hard to get parts for these old bikes, any help would be appreciated.
Sorry for writing a book here.
Thanks Steve J.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117925#p117925:1cjrpm2r said:
joedrum » Thu May 15, 2014 9:51 am[/url]":1cjrpm2r]
well this is a huge task created by corporate kill off of there products ...by providing no parts or service at all

I heard it's partly due to the tax.
They charge tax on inventory in Japan so companies have to throw away spare parts to avoid it.
Governments... :evil:

But why aren't there plenty of oldwing parts in the US?
The parts had to be imported in small quantities?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117925#p117925:uo4a1eq5 said:
joedrum » Thu May 15, 2014 9:51 am[/url]":uo4a1eq5]
well this is a huge task created by corporate kill off of there products ...by providing no parts or service at all
This comes up way more often than it should.

The bottom line is just that, the bottom line.

How can ANY company justify the expense of making and storing parts for a very small market.
It's not only Honda that stops supporting old makes, it happens throughout all industries and to label Honda as 'the bad guy' is just wrong.
Imagine yourself the company making a product for sale to 1 million people a year , and there is a need for parts for 5000 people over the next 5 years on an older model. Which one would you support.
The answer is simple, if you want to stay in business that is.

I just finished a job tying in a 30 year old backup generator to a new transfer switch.
The new transfer switches aren't compatible with the old generators.
It was a real challenge making the 2 work together.
I deal with this regularly in the lighting industry as well.

I agree with the companies having to limit production of spare parts after 10 years as required by law. Normally, this is where aftermarket suppliers pick up the tab for making OEM replacement stuff. But, after 30+ years, it becomes a very small model specific market and suppliers decide to buy stock only as the market demands and only if they can continue to make a profit.

It is great that these old bikes hold up even after being neglected and left outside for years and they can still come back to life! But, as an OEM, seeing your products (and the liability that remains per original design) stay out there for 30+ years, it makes them nervous!

Recently I bought aftermarket (HAP JONES) piston/ring/wristpin/clip set for my 1968 CL125A for $50 or so (for 2 cylinders).
So why aren't there similar for Oldwings?

I rebuilt my '83 engine, but only by combining it with parts from an '80 and an '82 engine so everything would be standard size - no over or undersizes. Several parts houses still have some main and rod bearings, but you'll need to check the markings stamped on the front of the case, the crankshaft, and the connecting rods to figure out what color coded bearings you will need. The charts are in the Honda service manual, in the Gallery.

Hastings makes a set of piston rings that are identical to standard OEM rings, part #2C4901 (Std. bore - $62.07 shipped from PerfectEngine in L.A.). Seals and gaskets are all atill available.

Unless the rust on the cylinder walls is deep, they can be honed with good results. Every Wing engine I've opened up has shown very little wear to the cylinders, even showing decent crosshatch marks.

Ebay is a great source for many good used parts if needed.

It's a challenge gathering everything you need, but if you can pull it off, the results are so worth it!

Thanks for the input guys. Thank you Steve83, I did some research back when I was going to do another 1100 engine and came across hastings rings by just giving them measurements of the ring I had and they came up with the part also.
Now why can't other companys do that, love those old school American companies like hastings!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118039#p118039:2kct00cu said:
Stevej's wing » Sat May 17, 2014 1:13 am[/url]":2kct00cu]
Thanks for the input guys. Thank you Steve83, I did some research back when I was going to do another 1100 engine and came across hastings rings by just giving them measurements of the ring I had and they came up with the part also.
Now why can't other companys do that, love those old school American companies like hastings!

Don't we all. Unfortunately more and more are going to the wall. We have just lost our Australian gasket and engine part manufacture ACL :(

Here are some pics of what I came across when I split the case.
What would cause a rod to bend like this and not do damage to other things in the crankcase?
My guess is water in combustion chamber causing engine to hydraulic and bend the rod.
I am going to have the crank checked for straightness also.
Hope I do not have to do much more, this is hitting my pocket book! :heat:

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 235
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 239
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 238
Bent rod?? Ahhhhh.....hardly broken in! A few more hits, loose the oil and it should look like this:

image.php
:doh: :whip: :smilie_happy:

Sorry....I agree yours was more than likely hydro lock from gasoline.

Those bearings are pretty well worn out which could also have been from gasoline leaking into the intakes, down the pistons and washing out the bearings.

That is a lot of rust on the rod and crank. looks like cooling leak or possibley that is a result of engine being destroyed that caused coolant in the crank.

on the bent rod i noticed no varnish on the piston. That very well could be from gasoline in the cylinder.

Latest posts