Pismo April 3rd anyone?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you are poking your finger in my eye Dan.... that is where my relatives live.... have an aunt about 6 miles from Pismo... (you lucky dawg you)

Plans for me next weekend may change drastically after Monday or Tuesday when we find out if our warranty will cover the Suburban transmission that died last week. Depends if we have to pay out anything.
Sure hope not, don't have the greenbacks right now.

dan filipi":93760ado said:
Plans for me next weekend may change drastically after Monday or Tuesday when we find out if our warranty will cover the Suburban transmission that died last week. Depends if we have to pay out anything.
Sure hope not, don't have the greenbacks right now.

Ouch! :(

A trans for that is gonna be a couple grand easy. That could be the price of another Goldwing.

Aftermarket warranties are not in business to save you money. That experience could range anywhere from "gee, what a rip off" to "gee, that wasn't so bad". Most of them will have some kind of deductable. And many of them are slow to pay out on a claim. Depending on the shop and their relationship/past experience with your third party insurance, they may require you to pay up front and get reimbursement from the warranty company.

I hope you make out ok.

scdmarx":24xpe97h said:
Ouch! :(

A trans for that is gonna be a couple grand easy. That could be the price of another Goldwing.

You said it brother!

The shop doing the work says the warranty company is pretty good, they've worked with them many times. It's from the same Chevy dealer we bought the truck from new and zero deductable.
After looking at the policy I'm concerned though because it say's warranty is "ineligible" if towing equipment has been installed. We put a receiver hitch on it. My argument will be that is WAS on it when we had it inspected for the warranty when we bought it and the hitch was never brought to our attention.
I'm just glad it waited til we got home from Randsburg to die!

Man, I sure have to cram my 6'2" frame into this rental Toyota Corolla, I want our Burb back!

dan filipi":11lmd157 said:
We put a receiver hitch on it. My argument will be that is WAS on it when we had it inspected for the warranty when we bought it and the hitch was never brought to our attention.

If it's not in writing, it doesn't exsist. But who knows? I might work.

I'm just glad it waited til we got home from Randsburg to die!

Too bad you can't buy a can of FIX-A-TRANS. ;)

Man, I sure have to cram my 6'2" frame into this rental Toyota Corolla, I want our Burb back!

We're gonna have to give you one of those nicknames like "Shorty". :smilie_happy:

The adjuster told the shop to go ahead and pull the transmission and open it up. He want's to look at it tomorrow to see what happened then he makes a decision what to do, full rebuild or replace just the bad part or parts. :roll:

We're not out of the woods yet on this thing, still don't know what we might have to pay if we have to pay out for a decent warranty from the trans shop but they are working to get us a full rebuild on the warranty companies dime with at least a 1 year 12k mile warranty. :beg: That seems kinda weak as it is.

I made it clear I'm not interested in a patch job and the warranty company needs to cover 100% a proper job replacing every worn or questionable part. He said this is a pretty good company, til tomorrow we're on pins and needles.
Hopefully we won't have to fight for what we're entitled to.

Good luck with the repair and warranty. The transmission shouldn't have gone out.... and our trip to the mine wasn't bad enough to cause it.... Had my Saturn on worse and it survived....

The total charge is $2200, insurance is paying about %75 leaving us with a $600 bill.
They wouldn't go the full charge for a rebuilt, saying the torque converter, pump and a gear/bearing set don't need replacing but I trust this shop to do it right, that and I've talked with AApple.

Oh well 600 bucks. At least now we have a 2 year 24k mile warranty from the shop.

This won't stop us from doing the ride this weekend so it's a go for my son and I.

sidecarsusie":1i9epe1v said:
I'll Join you if it isn't Raining...

Great!

Which route do you suggest if we're off by 8AM to get into Pismo around noon?
We'll hook up with scdmarx along the line or in Pismo? Ron?

If you'd like scenic, could take 154 out of Santa Barbara over San Marcos pass, go thru Los Olivos and rejoin Hwy 101.
If we are traveling in daylight coming home and you'd like to do inland scenic, could do 192, join up with 150 and go thru Ojai and in on 126 to 5 and home. It would be 17 miles more homeward bound, but slower, all surface roads until hwy 126.

sidecarsusie":jk7u3jil said:
If you'd like scenic, could take 154 out of Santa Barbara over San Marcos pass, go thru Los Olivos and rejoin Hwy 101.
If we are traveling in daylight coming home and you'd like to do inland scenic, could do 192, join up with 150 and go thru Ojai and in on 126 to 5 and home. It would be 17 miles more homeward bound, but slower, all surface roads until hwy 126.

Scenic sounds nice, that usually means less knuckleheads on the road.
Let's play it by ear.

Previous route to Pismo would be about 171 miles from Burbank that is.
If we take hwy 1 from the 101 it is 192 miles from Burbank to Pismo.
Haven't been that route, so do not know the hwy 1 part of the route, only by Lompoc.

dan filipi":2g4lkrut said:
Scenic sounds nice, that usually means less knuckleheads on the road.
Let's play it by ear.

Ahhh, the old scenic route....... When I ride here near Philadelphia, it is VERRRRY scenic! I seen the backs of a tractor trailers, traffic jams, people saying real bad things about my mom, waving with one finger (I always wave back you know, they are so nice! I can't hear them over my radio and they seem to be trying to shout over it, but I'm sure they are saying "WOW, nice bike!" or something like that.) Yes, we are full of nice scenery around here and some real nice people. Its great to live near the City of Brotherly Shove....I mean Brotherly Love. :cool!: :smilie_happy:

Only $600 for a transmission that shouldn't have broke. Man, you're a lucky dude! 600 is a lot easier to reach than 2200! I'm glad it worked out for ya.

I'm 11 miles off the 101, then another 10 miles from Pismo. Just about 20 minutes or so. I'm flexable. Let me know what's happening.

154 is a nice ride when it's dry. And you'll miss that windy Gaviota Pass! Expect a lot of Easter, er' excuse me, "Spring Break" traffic through the Solvang area.

Latest posts