Stuck fork bolt story

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a bike for the engine...now the bike is stripped and getting cleaned for reassembly with new seals and parts. How could I see if the engine is good without riding the bike first!

So when I get to the forks, the bottom bolt is stuck. the one with the copper sealing washer buried under the axle clamp studs. I tried all my other tricks but only succeeded in stripping out the hex so I had to drill the bolt to get the head off. Took a bunch of time and brill bits but I got it out.
IMG_1811small.jpg

So when I got to the other side and was faced with the same problem I knew there must be another way. This is the story of the other way.

Attachments

• IMG_1800small.jpg
    IMG_1800small.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 200
Once I knew the hex was still good in the hex head cap bolt (say that fast 3 times!) I knew I needed a way to keep the interior parts from spinning (the parts fiche calls it a pipe,seat lol)

I used this before, but added the strip of rubber taped to the end to increase friction. It is a broomstick clamped in a drill press vise sitting on the floor. The stick is long enough to reach the inside end of the fork tube and hold the whole mess at a comfy height to work on.
IMG_1796small.jpg
IMG_1800small.jpg

The next problem was getting my impact driver to accept a 6mm hex wrench. Solved that by wrapping copper art foil around the hex stock until it fit snug.
IMG_1806small.jpg

Then I just put the hex key in the bolt and wailed on it with my big persuader

Attachments

• IMG_1801small.jpg
    IMG_1801small.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 198
kool kind of thought it went down the tube to hold that ...the last one i did iwas right where you were at ..and used a drywall screw gun ...witch if i remember right ..the bit shaft was just bit bigger than hex head got it to fit ... and using it like high speed impact it broke loose and the inside didnt slip anymore ...cant remember if i use wood handle in tube ..so wont claim i did ..but for sure knew it had slip ...great work ....

Necessity is, the mother of invention. Good use of what you have laying around, W C Fields referred to it as BOONDOUGLING in The Bank Dick, :yes: we do a lot of that around here. :good:

this is worth taking Notes , so if I ever need it , . . . if I don't write it down I can't remember Nothing . :popcorn:

Latest posts