ABS Repair Revisited

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 1100 back in 2010 it came complete with a broken battery side cover.

If one can be found, the owner wants more than I am willing to part with, so I just made do and tried several different things to repair it:

First try was a two part epoxy :beg: Nope, not gonna work.

My next attempt was to use JB Weld and a piece of sheet metal on the inside... :nea: I don't think so.

While repairing the Rooster fairing that I am putting on the 1200, I did something to that that really worked, so I figured I try it on this also: First I put some black ABS glue inside the crack and then I slather some glue on the back side of the cover. I put a piece of fiberglass cloth over that, more glue, another layer of cloth, and a final coat of glue over the entire area. I think I have it this time, because as I was walking down the steps from my lavatory laboratory (where I am doing all of my small repair projects in heat) I dropped the cover and watched in horror as it tumbled down 13 steps. The repair is still solid and the cover feels like it is original.

Now I just need to do something to hide the crack on the outside and it is done.

Put a thin amount on the crack to fill it in.. then lightly sand it.... when it is smooth ... you can give it a light spray of semi gloss /satin finish krylon spray.paint... very lightly.. it will mask the patch and blend the color..don't heavy.coast as krylon has acetone in the mix.. light coat won't melt/dissolve the abs...

Latest posts