Radiator air deflectors

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I finally received a set of chrome air deflectors today from Ebay. I installed them tonight (what a pain!!!!!!!!) The chrome grill cover (rock guard) has to come off, the bottom foundation bracket has to come off, all of the nuts and bolts holding the radiator have to come off and then the deflectors can be installed followed by every other piece! I will try it out Sunday and see if it makes any difference in my running temps and if it cuts down on the fan coming on.

Well, they do ram the air through the radiator! BUTTTTT, now I have lots of hot air being pushed up through the shelter and down the side of the engine! (Trade off?) The temps stayed 1/2 or lower and kept the fan from coming on while moving. Now, to send that hot air somewhere else! :heat:

Attachments

• Deflectors.JPG
    Deflectors.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 391
i keep trying to tell you guys .....on the the mongruel the heat sheild slash motor mount and the thermostat being out works great on the heat issue ....i never have any problem with heat blowing on me and the fan never has to be used except for stop and go traffic and runs real cool for me when its on ......i have the thermostat out of the 1100 and it seems to run a little hotter and i think its because of the heat sheild mont up front its coming off soon as there is no way it is a good ideal to have a wall right behind the radiator .....i dont care what the engineers say.....common sense enough to see the flaw in this......and on honda dressed bikes like a lot of us have here with the good looking side skirts plus the radiator wall this has to hinder the cooling system a lot .....heat is the thing that takes down most wings .....i mean when the bike runs cooler its better for belts ,electrics,seals ,oils ,carbs and rider as you are part of the system.....thats what i think

theres this nice or pretty nice 82 1100 dresser i want and if i get it all that stuff is coming off and i bet it will run better and cooler for it .....i listen to you guys talking about the fan coming on a lot and mine never comes on or has to ...... :mrgreen:

BigAndrew":2z8kurmq said:
So now your getting more hot air blown on you?
I'm getting hoy air now where I never did before! The hot air was only an issue when the fan came on while stopped at redlights. Now, the air is being sent directly through the radiator and is being pushed through the shelter and down by my legs where I never had hot air before. I noticed in the dressers that there appears to be a shield behind the lowers. Is that correct? I am tempted to build a shield that forces the air down under the engine.

Joe, I understand about the t-stat out!

mcgovern61":3p6t5ci7 said:
I noticed in the dressers that there appears to be a shield behind the lowers. Is that correct?

Yes sir, there is a shield on both sides.

dan filipi":2oqg3c1w said:
mcgovern61":2oqg3c1w said:
I noticed in the dressers that there appears to be a shield behind the lowers. Is that correct?

So if I built a shroud from the radiator shroud forward and directed the air down, it would be similar to a dresser with the shield behind the lowers?

Well the shields on the dresser are right inline with the shield behind the fan.
Mine are off because of the alternator but here's a few pics of them on and off the parts bike

image.php

image.php

image.php

IIRC the lowers sit up against the outside edge.

So, Honda did recognize the problem and fixed it on the dresser's! That is exactly where the hot air is traveling into the shelter and down the engine. I do not think that type of shroud will work with my Vetter faring. :doh:

Gives me some ideas though!

mcgovern61":29780867 said:
dan filipi":29780867 said:
mcgovern61":29780867 said:

So if I built a shroud from the radiator shroud forward and directed the air down, it would be similar to a dresser with the shield behind the lowers?

Here is what is on the dressers behind the radiator...
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-198 ... 500wt_1182
:salute: :salute:

I changed out the chrome rock guard for a stock mesh rock guard I got from Joedrum (Thanks Joe!). On my trip back to New Jersey, I'll see if it makes any difference. Yesterday, I rode my son in law's Dad's GL1200 and I was surprised how much heat was still coming out of all of that plastic. I am still considering boxing in the "fire wall" and sending the air down under the engine.

We made it back from Ohio and the stock rock guard did keep the water cooler! The gauge normally ran about 1/2 and the entire trip back from Ohio (900 miles) it stayed just above 1/4 gauge. I have a chrome rock guard grill for sale if anyone is interested!