Show us your grill!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
The topic has come up as to whether an aftermarket chrome grill restricts air flow to the radiator or not. My recent experience has been that my chrome grill reduced air flow. I had only recently added the correct air deflectors to my radiator (my mistake not knowing they were required equipment) which increased air flow, but the engine was still running warm IMHO. At the suggestion of some, I removed the chrome grill and installed an originial GW rock guard instead and the engine did run cooler.

In another post, it was noted that the chrome grill does not make any difference. The suggest was made to post pics of our grills to see if there is a difference in the aftermarket grill types. Well, here is the one that I removed from my bike (Which is now available for purchase BTW):

its rainy but ran out to take a few snaps.

image.php

mine doesnt look as restrictive.

image.php

image.php

wanted to throw these in because I had never seen a cowle like this..
originally it had gold paint on it..
but chrome look better to me.
although I think after stripping the paint it looks kinda like nickle...
I plan to change the mounts slightly and bring the whole thing up about 3/4 inch... after removing the oil dipstick bracket, and changiong the acorn nuts to plane flat nuts.

may have this powder coated over the winter.

joedrum":yevpflrg said:
send it to me gerry :mrgreen:
Joe, I shoulda traded ya something for it while I was out there!!! (Except I didn't try it until I got back to Ohio :( )

Do you have any good faring mounted mirrors? I'd like to install faring mounted mirrors on my Vetter faring.

Or any good battery side covers?

This is the Rolls Royce grill I ran for awhile that makes the gauge temp run at least a 1/4 gauge warmer.
Mcgovern has the same one.
In heavy L.A traffic in 90 plus temps that extra heat makes it unbearable.

image.php

This is a link to the original front grill thread which actually started out as a oil cooler thread :doh: :rtfm:

i put one of those on hacks 83 as the radiator had taken everything it could take in the wreck :shock: it was just the grill to add more protection .....they are stout ....mines even uglyer than yours dan ....im thinking painted black would look good on hacks interstate .....if you dont want it send it to me dan....

Here is mine,doesnt seem to effect the temp any.Seems like the common thread is the big ole rolls royce grills.
Disreguard the lack of luster,it rained yesterday.

Attachments

• grill 020.JPG
    grill 020.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 270
  • grill 019.JPG
    grill 019.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 273
yes, and you dont need the rock guard behind it....

I also like those hiway pegs... I need some that set my pegs forward farther. my legs are too long.:D

BTW. I need to refine my mounting brackets on my lower scoop. so that they bring it up like yours and cover the lower fairing mount bolts.. and the lower grill nuts.
:salute:

Yes,I had a friend make the peg extensions for me.They work better with the 83 guards,but still work fine with the 82 guards if I us pegs not boards.

I have a differant spoiler Im thinking of using.Its a sleaker fiberglass one,but has no lights.