My 1983 engine (re) build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
It's underway!

In this thread I will be posting all along the way from tear down to assembly.

I've dropped the heads off from the parts bike engine at machine shop.
I'll know tomorrow what's needed.

Parts from this engine,

image.php

and this engine in my runner,

image.php

and these spare parts,

image.php

here,

image.php

and here,

image.php

and maybe even some from here,

image.php

and here,

image.php

and the best condition primary chain from all that I've collected,

Are going to make up the final build.

Of course there will be MANY pictures posted in this thread and others all the way through the build.
This will be a stock build, nothing high performance, I'm after total reliability.

Stay tuned..........

this is my first trip through the complete wing not missing any stops.... :whip: :music2: :builder: :builder: :mrgreen: :crying: :cheeky: :beg: :Awe: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :roll: :evil: :oops: :evil: :shock: :cool: :cool: :Egyptian: :wave: :wave: :popcorn: :music: :salute: :salute: :read: :fiddle: :music2: :music: :head bang: :laptop: :builder: :beer: :crying: :beg: :beg: :beg: :clapping: :clapping: :mrgreen:

Looks like my collection of KZ parts. :smilie_happy: I'll most definitely follow this thread. :mrgreen: :thanks:

Grrreat Dan! I'll be following closely as well...glad you are doing this and glad you have the patience to do the follow-along with pix...this is awesome and may inspire me to do my other engine as a backup....
Good luck and have fun...
Brian In NM

Just heard from the shop,

All valve guides are bad, exhaust guides are very bad.
He's providing them from an auto crossover at $3 each.

For head rebuild cost see this thread on my engine build cost.

chasrogers":3ecatchq said:
dan filipi":3ecatchq said:
Just heard from the shop,

All valve guides are bad, exhaust guides are very bad.
He's providing them from an auto crossover at $3 each.

For head rebuild cost see this thread on my engine build cost.
hey Dan that price is a good one too can't wait you will have a newly rebuilt motor fresh ready to run for years more. :good: :good: :eek:k:
I rebuilt mine:

(OK...OK.....it was a krylon rebuild :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: )

Update:

The new valve springs just arrived!

New valve seals arrived the other day!

I talked to the rebuilder today,
he said there are some low spots on the head gasket surface so he's milling it just enough to be flat.

I just have to pull a good intake from one of the spare heads to replace the bent one and they're all ready to assemble!

I should have the heads back Monday or Tuesday.

Well I've installed the rebuilt heads and it's back on the road.

Running in the garage the valve tappets are completely quiet.

Out on the road there is some tappet noise but it's different than before, more rhythmic like it should be.
With the old springs the tapping was not rhythmic but rather random and more like a clatter than a tap.
I can live with this.

So then, new springs are a definate YES?

This is with the 1200 cams, correct? I wonder how it would do with the original "hammered" 1100 cams? Didn't you say before that your machine shop could do a regrind on the cams? Do you have any ballpark figures on what that would cost?

And your knock is still there?

I have sort of a knocking going on as I accelrate through the 4,000 rpm range. I would describe it as more of a "rapping" kinda sound. It's also there when I'm cruising @ 4,000 and above. Soon as I back off it goes away. I find myself adjusting my riding habits to avoid hearing the noise.