Ocean's Fury!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I have spent a lot of time in the ocean on lots of different vessels. One of the things that is hard to explain to people is what it is like out there in difficult weather (can you say "Perfect Storm"?). As a matter of fact, I was working in New York during that "Perfect Storm" and lost a few fisherman friends when the "Valerie E" sank off Shinnecock, NY in the same storm.

Here is a great video someone posted on YouTube that will really give you a sense of what it is like:

...and that, my friends, is why I prefer to stay with me tootsies on the terra firma... :swoon:

The real questions is...Who, and HOW do they film stuff like this? How the heck does the camera stay perfectly still? :headscratch:

AApple":1jap5msi said:
The real questions is...Who, and HOW do they film stuff like this? How the heck does the camera stay perfectly still? :headscratch:
Gyro-stabilized cameras....they are so cool!

Attachments

• Gyro Stabilized.jpg
    Gyro Stabilized.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 200
  • Gyro Stabilized Camera.jpg
    Gyro Stabilized Camera.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 203
Way cool Gerry....
I have added a link to a Force 9 storm in the Bay of Bengal in a "cyclone" which on my ship we called a typhoon....

This close to what we experienced in a typhoon in the south Pacific in 1964 and my ship was 530' long, similar in length to this LPG carrier ship but a Guided Missile Frigate...or destroyer.

We took a lot of green water over the bow...and 25-30 degree rolls were common....it is a puckering experience and I can personally vouch for it being extremely difficult to cook during one. The good thing is you only have about a third to a half of the crew interested in eating at all.

I ended up burning my foot badly when I poured boiling hot hotdog grease/water into the boot on my right foot because of the radical rolling, pitching and yawing of the vessel.....I was in sick bay for three days with that little fiasco...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2fEv1jr ... re=related

All part of a sailors day....

Brian

Man Brian.....that is much worse than it looks in the video. 30 degree rolls on a ship that size? (Looks like the LPG had some serious free surface effect going on). For the un-initiated.....a 30 degree roll on a ship 530 feet long (looks like about 98 feet wide) at that rolling period (side to side) is the equivelant to getting to the top of a roller coaster just as it it breaks over and then takes off suddenly.....except out in the ocean it happens over and over and over and over sometimes as much as every 2 minutes! (Sometimes I gotta wonder why I became a Captain...seasickness is no fun!) :nea: :lazy:

While we are in ocean mode, here are a few pics of some boats I visited when I was building some ferry boats in Seattle. See if any of them look familiar:
IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1211.JPG
IMG_1303.JPG

I sailed on the sistership of the Wizard. Many people do not realize that she was a Navy Yard Oiler originally built back East in Camden, NJ by Ira Bushey. Here is a pic of a sister vessel that I sailed on in New York. If you look at the hull line, you can see that the Wizard and the Mary A. Whalen have the same hull and rub rails:

Attachments

• Mary A Whalen.jpg
    Mary A Whalen.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 188
I remember breaking out some stores from a locker that opened on to the chain locker just aft of the Boatswains locker in the bow....I was caught off balance when the ship came down over a wave....I dropped the case of 6 gallons of sterilized milk and reached back to grab the ladder and as we came down....I have no idea how far....I watched the case of milk just be motionless in mid air....when we bottomed out, of course the milk hit the deck but it was as if time stood still for that brief moment.....

I am sure it was nothing like what those much smaller boats you showed Gerry....they must be like a cork....

A Navy fighting ship is pretty indestructible and with watertight integrity, it would take something pretty serious to sink one....

I join you in the tribute to Captain Roy and the Valerie E.

I am glad you are still with us as well Gerry.....

Brian

Getting ready to head back home from Mobile, Alabama after finishing extensive sea trials on a ferry my company designed and is ready to head to Rockland, Maine! She is a good ship!
IMG_5251.JPG
IMG_5253.JPG
IMG_5239.JPG

dan filipi":1kpj9o34 said:
Nice ship there Gerry.
Can we go for a ride sometime?
Actually.....YES! When the ship arives in Rockland, Maine....it will go into ferry service between Rockland and Vinal Haven, ME...and they will take motorcycles!! :clapping: :moped:

mcgovern61":1us4gyd5 said:
I have spent a lot of time in the ocean on lots of different vessels. One of the things that is hard to explain to people is what it is like out there in difficult weather (can you say "Perfect Storm"?). As a matter of fact, I was working in New York during that "Perfect Storm" and lost a few fisherman friends when the "Valerie E" sank off Shinnecock, NY in the same storm.

Here is a great video someone posted on YouTube that will really give you a sense of what it is like:

Blocked for copyright infringement

Boy, I know what that feels like - it is quite something to stand in the bridge and watch water come over the bow ( on a 400 foot ship).... it makes a person feel pretty small and insignificant when up against Mother Nature...