1977 GL1000 Goldwing - Ignition

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgspec

Reaction score
Okay I am a good classic car mechanic. I completely understand how a points and condenser ignition system on a car works. However, when it comes to my motorcycle I have no clue.

I am asking all the motorcycle ignition experts for help. I bought this bike not running, I was told the coils might be the problem. I checked and had no spark so I figure the coils are the problem as there was an arc at the points when they open. I got a different pair of GL1000 coils and tried again, of course no spark. I checked on YouTube and found a video about changing the coils out for a Dodge Neon coil pack. So I bought a coil pack, pig tail and ignition wires. I was excited, figured I had it licked, but, alas, still no spark.
I used a test light to check the wires from the motorcycle to the coil and there was no power to the plug.
I have no idea how the spark from the points get to the coil, can anyone help me and let me know what to check. Please do not tell me to check the repair manuals I have and could not find the information.
Thank you in advance.
Jeff

You actually do need to “check the manual” because I believe your problem might possibly be solvable with a scan of the schematic. The spark doesn’t “get from the points” to the coil, but rather that point break in the 12V to the primaries on the coil is what causes the field to collapse and arc at the plug seeking ground. Eli the ice man for us sparkles...

Sounds like you might have an issue in the primary wiring between the points and the coils. You might check the connections to the ballast resistor. I had a pretty bad one on my 78 that caused some problems. One of a number of potential gremlins in that path.

Coils%201[1].jpg
here's a diagram of your coils and points etc setup , assuming it is stock and hasn't been chopped.
a word of advice.... forget anything the PO has said and start at the beginning.
1... check the main fuse next to the battery.
2... check that power is getting to the coils. that is a Black/white wire that comes from the engine
run/off switch on the right hand switch block.
3... check and double check the points and timing.

Latest posts