1979 GL1000 Electrical

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clsticken

Reaction score
What am I missing? Can I get someone to post a pic of their inside left panel so I can see what it should look like? I think my book is showing an earlier model. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2011-05-22_11-34-57_439.jpg
    2011-05-22_11-34-57_439.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 236
voltage regulator im sure all my 79 is in a bucket so a pic wouldnt help much :smilie_happy: :shock: butim pretty possitive thats what missing :mrgreen:

you ought to try and get a unbotched up 79 wiring harnest to go with the new 1000 motor or it will be pretty hard as the 1100 was to get right ...ithink there is some good 79 wiring harnest pic in the teck section here i think that could help you get your botched one right ....an i think you would be doing yoursefl a favor to go go with dyna ignition and coils also ....what yr 1000 motor do you have anyway.... :mrgreen:

joedrum":1t72ahls said:
voltage regulator im sure all my 79 is in a bucket so a pic wouldnt help much :smilie_happy: :shock: butim pretty possitive thats what missing :mrgreen:

you ought to try and get a unbotched up 79 wiring harnest to go with the new 1000 motor or it will be pretty hard as the 1100 was to get right ...ithink there is some good 79 wiring harnest pic in the teck section here i think that could help you get your botched one right ....an i think you would be doing yoursefl a favor to go go with dyna ignition and coils also ....what yr 1000 motor do you have anyway.... :mrgreen:

Is there more than one regulator in that panel? There is a big one there and a 7 volt under the fuel/temp/bat gauges, which started this side project. It was reading over 9 volts so I swapped it out with one i had in this 82 instrument cluster. That one reads a little over 7. I think there should be something right next to that regulator in the side panel and the harness is there for it, I just have no idea what it was or if I even need it. Obviously not, but I still would like know what it was.

As far as that motor, I dont have it yet and I'm not sure what it year it is but I believe it is a 75 or 76.

Thanks

oh i bet thats where the auzillery :smilie_happy: i know spelled wrong ...wiring hook up was for extra stuff to be wired to ....it was a plaskit retangular shaped deal with screw hook ups.... :mrgreen:

joedrum":3rbpxo7z said:
oh i bet thats where the auzillery :smilie_happy: i know spelled wrong ...wiring hook up was for extra stuff to be wired to ....it was a plaskit retangular shaped deal with screw hook ups.... :mrgreen:

The part I am referring to that I believe i a resistor. This is what it looks like. https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-77- ... ccessories

slabghost":339jkbm1 said:
If that harness comes from the headlight bucket it's the connector for the fairing lights.

I dont know where it came from. It has always just been laying in the side panel.

tat thing hanging in the clip is the fuse holder on the 79s its usealy undrneath the glove box in most 79s a realy dumb set up in the dark ...it never made no sence to me the way they did that ....the extra electrcal hook up snap in that hole in your picture just left of the voltaged regulator...it appears to be gone from the wiring... :mrgreen: im doing this from memory as i said the 79 i have is in a big water trouh bucket.... :mrgreen:

My 78 has an added relay for the driving lights and a few extra wires (damn current owners :roll: ) but this is what it looks like.

Attachments

• 101_1012.JPG
    101_1012.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 201
roncar":howtcx6q said:
My 78 has an added relay for the driving lights and a few extra wires (damn current owners :roll: ) but this is what it looks like.

Hey! That ain't no JB welded crankcase. :smilie_happy: thanks for the pic!

Don't have a camera handy, and not sure how to post the pictures anyway.

Just went out and looked at my '78.

The empty plug there has a bundle of wires coming from the back of the instrument cluster (volt, temp, fuel) that is mounted in front of the faux tank lid. And two wires from that bundle go to the auxiliary plug.

1. yours is missing whatever should be plugged into the red plug, (top left). I currently cannot look at my 78 to see what that is.

2. normally the fuse box is up under the glove box lid (as pointed out previously)

3. you are missing the accessory box

4. that male plug bottm center right looks like a vetter fairing plug that would plug into the fairing. Did this bike have a fairing?

If that plug is from a Vetter fairing, and you are not using the fairing, don't forget to tape over the end of the plug so none of those terminals is exposed to possible shorting out and blowing all the fuses.

Latest posts