1980 GL1100 Finally Runs!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooltindog

Reaction score
This was one of those deals where my dream turned into a nightmare one day at a time. Riding my Goldwing home helped put the nightmare aside. What the seller swore was just old gas in the carbs ended up being the most ridiculous series of repairs. I have definitely learned that when looking at classic bikes, if I cant start it and ride it through all gears the most I will pay is now $0-$200. The reward with the Goldwing is that now I have a sweet ride which rides like a Cadillac... different than all my other bikes.

What is done so far:
Starter fixed
Rewired 3 bypassed fuses
Timing Belts
Front shock seals and bushings
New front tire
Conversion to single carb because factory ones were toast
Foot pegs
8" headlight
Turn Signals
Removed Fairing and broken cases
Made battery cover from one of the case lids
Freed stuck rear brake piston
Rebuilt and lubed fork/steering tube
Chrome rear fender off another bike
Tail light
New Battery
New Honda Starter Solenoid rather than a Ford solenoid
LED in front fender marker light
New Brake Reservoir
Petcock Gasket

That's all I can think of right now. And, no I didn't do it all myself. A lot of the issues I had came up as fixed something and I couldn't troubleshoot...like the electrical nightmare.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 700
  • IMG_20160114_155623132.jpg
    IMG_20160114_155623132.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 701
Very nice bike. The folks here would have helped trouble shoot and walk you through all of the work if you'd just asked. That's why the forum is here.

Great looking bike and look at all that GW experience that you have now gained :good:

What the seller swore was just old gas in the carbs ended up being the most ridiculous series of repairs. I have definitely learned that when looking at classic bikes, if I cant start it and ride it through all gears the most I will pay is now $0-$200.

Congrats,
I too explored the vast unknown's and surprises abounding out of an old non running wing left neglected for years and years.
The sense of accomplishment is it's own reward.

The best way to tell if the seller of an old non runner is understating mechanical issues or outright lying is to see if his lips are moving. :BigGrin: