1981 gl1100 restore

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevej's wing

Reaction score
Hi all. I am doing another restore and am working on the engine which I split the case on. Here is my question, I read someones talk in another forum about the third gear in these bikes and how you can grind the edge off the dogs to make it shift better from the 2nd to 3rd shift. Has anyone done this with any success, and is it a good idea or bad.
My last wing had a real problem shifting from 2nd to 3rd and now that I have the case open would like to fix this problem without breaking the bank.
So if any of you gear heads have any good advice on this fix let me know, thanks again

i think your talking pre 77 1000 bikes as the 78-79 were donr different along with later yrs...this is memory too ...so imight be wrong here ...theres not that big a problem in the gears....if i was going to do anything to a 81 1100 it might be to change entire tramission to an 83 trans for the taller gearing for hiway cuising...82 gearing is slighly lower 83...80-81 are the lowest geared oldwings stock....the transmission from a 1000 will be like putting in a 83 transmission only with a taller first gear ...i have a bike set up like this and its was a great hiway bike and great bike overall ...the taller gearing didnt seem to hurt the power any to me ...that all thr tricks i know of in the trans area of your motor ....the dtock geaing is not bad by any means ...just a little high in rpm at 70mph cuising and the oldwing motors like rpm ...just throwing out the options as i know them