1982 Aspencade air compressor

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54Greybeard

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the most common problem that causes these compressors to stop working? Does the compressor piston sieze? If so, can it be freed and the compressor returned to service? The air valves seem to work okay from the control panel, the compressor just doesn't run. Where do you start with the trouble shooting?

Thanks guys! After my required 5 posts I gained access to the 80-83 shop manual, excellent schematic of the electrical and air system, that alone made joining this sight worthwhile. Typical Honda engineering, simple and well thought out. Didn't realize the front/rear air switch was actually a valve, cool! I wonder is anyone has added a schrader valve? She's sitting so low can't use the side stand.

Did you get it to work ? Mine works fine,I'm just waiting for my shock seals . They pump up but dont hold air. Yeah,it sits almost upright on the side stand some guys trash the sir system and put progressive springs in forks and 412 (i think) shocks out back. Wayyy too expensive for me at this time. $20 for seals is just fine thank you.so I just use the center stand.

I found the schrader valve. Fuse must be good because gages and a couple of other things are on the same circuit and they work. Stock Showa rear shocks are removed, they hold air for about 20 minutes so I'll rebuild them. Don't know if the forks hold air or not. I'll look at that tomorrow if I get a chance. I'll check for power to the compressor and go from there and post. Really neat system, would love to get it working.

I have a bag on my head while I'm writing this. Brought my power probe home from work to get to the bottom of this compressor deal. Opened up the false tank, pulled out all the wires, checked connections, found a fuse, checked it out, everything was fine. What the hell? Then it dawned on me, I wonder, does this only work in.................PARK!!!!!. Yep, works great. Front and rear suspensions both need to be rebuilt, hold air for 20 minutes but no biggie. Also thinking about changing circuit so that suspension can be adjusted on the fly. Forks and shocks first. Thank you everyone for your help.

Yep,the PO had rigged wiring on mine so it could be done in different switch position,except,it was intermittant. So,I just put it back to original,hell with it. Once I rebuild the shocks(already did the forks) I should'nt have a problem. Famous last words ! Ha

Latest posts