1982 GL1100 Oil leaking from the fuel pump weep hole.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okietoys

Reaction score
Hey folks, New guy here. First this is a great site lot's of helpful information. Working on an 82 GL1100 barn find. I've rebuilt the carbs and at least got it to start and idle. Now there is oil spitting from the fuel pump weep hole. From what I can tell there should be oil going to that area. However, I haven't seen a solution to that problem. Is it time for a fuel pump? Or is the fix a touch of silicone in the weep hole.... ? Yup the carbs are dripping gas when it sits overnight even with the fuel off. Hoping setting the floats a touch higher will sort that out.

Floats are needing set lower not higher. You may need a fuel pump or your oil may be over filled a bit. Possibly a seal is leaking.Welcome to the fun.

Thanks for the info on the oil. Hopefully it's over filled. It's showing in the middle of the sight window right now though. Not leaking from the tach drive yet it's dry. Yup, the other way on the floats.
I'm looking forward to the fun. I'm partially retired and hoping to make a new hobby out of vintage Goldwings. Although I've never ridden one I've always liked them. Mostly rode KLRs had a BMW for a long time. Bought this one two winters ago and just now getting started on it. Had over about a year's worth of remodel and repair to do on the house first. Just about done with the house now on to the bike!

Sounds real good. You'll be calling this forum home real soon. Great bunch of guys here with a lot of help.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Are you checking the oil level while the bike is on the center stand?

As far as the carbs leaking, cleaning the needles and seats plus correctly setting the floats will go a long way to stop leaking.

Thanks all! I'll check all of those soon. Planning on going through the bike as much as possible before I put it on the road.

ck the oil for gas smell ,,,if it smells real oily it time to get after the leaking ...fuel pump and carbs ,,,or be draining and putting in fresh oil at lot ...if you keep fresh oil in when it leaking gas in it will sure clean the motor up ...i dont avocate doing that though ...gassy oil not good lubricating for the motor

Like Zman said check your crankcase ventilation tube. When I was messing with single carb. last year, I had a link in my tube and when I started it oil was leaking out weep hole on fuel pump. Took kink out of tube and has been fine now.

Thanks for the tips. Having to stop working on the bike for a day or two and get busy with the taxes. Bleah!

My 81 GL1100 had a crack on the bottom of the Phenolic block spacer that is between the fuel pump and the engine block. Would only leak when running and only on the toes of my good boots.

Latest posts