1983 linked brakes and MC I'm curious

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf

Reaction score
It appears to me that these 83 rear master cylinders are pretty hard to get a hold of these days, Soooo I was wondering if anyone has actually converted the 83 back to the other type brakes like say off an 80 model or 81,82 model using a rear MC off those instead, you'd have to do away with the linked brakes all together and go to back and front again...Has anyone here done it yet...Can it be done..?

I've not done it but I'm sure it can be done. Upgrading to a later model rear master designed for 3-4 piston calipers is an option too. Along with simply rebuilding the original master.

Yeh, I thought you could somehow, I'm amazed nobody has come up with a MC replacement and or mod. for the 83 yet or any year for that matter, it would seem that getting newer parts is a good idea and making them work proper...Instead of using a 30 year old part or so.. probably would need to make a mounting plate to fit the newer part, I bet someone could get it to work proper...I challenge anyone on this site to come up with a new master cyclinder for any of the 1100's, If it's been done I would like to know who did it...And I would wish to see it..In the form of photo's pretty please..So guy's put your thinking caps on and figure it out..Thank's :smilie_happy:

I was trying to find a link I had to a guy that does brake kits for GL's

lost it.

I think Randakk had it done on one of his bikes. Not cheap...

I have not had my 83 up and running much less than 75 miles.

So far I am not a fan of the linked brakes.

the single front is almost not there if used by itself.

Ive always been able to handle the bike just fine with linked brakes. I don't understand what all the fuss is.

The 83 parts bike was unlinked by the PO, I sold all the parts.

I see no reason an MC from some other bike wouldn't work, the linked brakes are done after the master anyway.

Pony Ruiz":1mjy1mtr said:
I was trying to find a link I had to a guy that does brake kits for GL's

lost it.

I think Randakk had it done on one of his bikes. Not cheap...

I have not had my 83 up and running much less than 75 miles.

So far I am not a fan of the linked brakes.

the single front is almost not there if used by itself.
Then there must be something wrong. It should be strong enough on its own to lock up the front tire. Might need bled or new pads.

The single on my 83 works pretty good, nothing like other model street bikes I've riden. I would say its adequate at best, pretty sure it could never lock the tire on a clean dry street but combined front and rear I can stop very quickly.
Hard to say without riding yours pony but i'd start with looking at the pads if they're wearing even, maybe a piston sticking if not.
Other than that, if the lever pulls tight and not to the grip the pads or rotor might be glazed.
I've hit mine with a orbitol sander and 80 grit paper. Helped.

Pony Ruiz":1c7colw4 said:
SG

Taken literally that is wrong....

I have brakes....with new ss lines - bled right and working. I just think it is weak.
Not having first hand experience with linked brakes I expect I am wrong. Maybe Honda sized them weak purposely to keep the wheels turning.

I am perfectly happy with the linked brakes on my 83,and with the stainless brake hoses and kevlar pads it stops just fine,you just need to understand them.
I generally relie on the front brakes alone (other than panic situations) on my other bikes,but with the wing you need to use both to get full force to front wheel.this will make it stop pretty quick.But it will apply just enough to the back to keep it from locking.My only complaint is not being able to slide the rear in case of an emergancy lay down.

If you where to seperate them,you would also need a front master that can handle both calipers as well as new frony hoses.

Well it would be nice to have modern day braking on these old bikes wouldn't it... :hihihi:

Pony Ruiz":5pc7mga2 said:
SG

Taken literally that is wrong....

I have brakes....with new ss lines - bled right and working. I just think it is weak.
thats because you are trying to stop 700lbs of motorcycle with just a single brake. i don't understand this either back before linked brakes single front brakes were not enough for 500lb motorcycles. to un-link your brakes you'll need at the least the master cylinder for the front and the " t " fitting from a 1100 wing without linked brakes

If you get an '82 front MC and rear MC, that will work fine becuase they were not linked and the '82's and '83's used the same calipers and pads.

I haven't done a conversion, so I can't help you there.
But my 82 standard is unlinked and the front brakes will lock up. I know - I've done it in a panic situation. Had my daughter on the back in a 35 zone when the lady in a Volvo ahead of me slammed the brakes for a miniature toy chihuahua dragging a leash in circles. I was standing on the rear brake while applying the front, letting off and reapplying the front everytime I heard the tire chirp. Probably 7 or 8 times before coming to a complete stop just inches from the Volvo. While my daughters weight was pushing me toward the windshield with each squeeze of the lever, the only real conscious thing I was doing was trying to down shift, and accepting the fact that this is it - we're going over the top of this Volvo! On coming traffic to the left, kid on a skate board and a bus stop bench to the right. Just that quick, man! I learned a new respect for those dual disc on the front!

When I got the 83 interstate, I wasn't so impressed with the linked brakes. Either brake, used by itself, will make a great long smooth stop. But it takes the use of both systems simultaniously to make a good hard stop. Neither will lock up on clean dry pavement. And I've gained confidence useing them over the past year. I have always wondered what was wrong with them. But after reading this topic, I think that's just the way they are.

So did you crash into the lady's rear end? Or what happened, is your daughter ok and you ok...Will she still ride with you...? I hate that, someone's always stopping on a dime ahead of you... :shock: well I saw something strange on another site, a guy put a whole different front end on his bike, the front end was from a busa, looked kinda odd having forks and wheel from a busa on a wing, but I bet his front brakes work great... :shock:

But it takes the use of both systems simultaniously to make a good hard stop. Neither will lock up on clean dry pavement. And I've gained confidence useing them over the past year. I have always wondered what was wrong with them. But after reading this topic, I think that's just the way they are.

I kinda think that is just the way they are too! They do stop good when using both. I just like to use the rear a little sometimes going around a corner. I don't like to apply a front brake doin that though.....

littlebeaver":2bnhtpd1 said:
So did you crash into the lady's rear end? Or what happened, is your daughter ok and you ok...Will she still ride with you...? I hate that, someone's always stopping on a dime ahead of you... :shock: well I saw something strange on another site, a guy put a whole different front end on his bike, the front end was from a busa, looked kinda odd having forks and wheel from a busa on a wing, but I bet his front brakes work great... :shock:
Bert did. He's also a member here.

Latest posts