32 DFT vs. DFEV,DGEV?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmopars

Reaction score
I am looking into the single conversion. I have not been able to find many DFT webers, I do see plenty of DFEV and DGEVs listed. Has anyone used one of these? Or, what is a source for the DFT?

I just drove my 1100 with a HOTT/Weber DGEV 32/36 to NASSIR in NC from Spring TX, the pretty way, Natchez MS - Waynsboro TN via the Natchez Trace Parkway and most of the rest of the way via the Trail of tears highway, almost 1300 wonderful miles that I'll never forget, and 44 MPG all the way there.

Okay so the bike had to come home to TX the short way in a U-haul but read on.........

The bike didn't fail me!! I FAILED IT

The seeds of this failure where sown back in March when I installed the Weber and decided in my infinite wisdom that I didn't have to set up the electric choke because I live in Texas!!

Well a cold front came through NC last Wednesday and closed the chokes, just like it was supposed too, but without power to re-open them, they where just shut, had my mistake occurred to me then and, had I had enough tools to correct the mistake I made back in March. I would have dispensed with the 10 MPG U-haul anchor on I20 in Monroe LA and ridden it home the rest of the way, after the penny dropped and I'd realized where I had seriously messed up.

The upshot of this post is to say, there is nothing wrong with the DGEV, use it, it is perfect. Just get the manual choke option if you live in a cold climate, or at the very least set up your electric choke before you go north of the Mason Dixon line, even in the summer.

Manual choke all the way as you already have a cable and worth the effort. If nothing else it makes an empty gas tank easier to start with choke and also allows for jetting diagnosis :good: Shame you made you diagnosis a bit late but at least you know what the problem was :salute:

good to hear from you ... i wont have to worry about that there is no choke plates to close on mine ... there are some here who chokes are all hooked up electric and all ...some not ... thanks for your input on this occurrence you had chillidawg

I like the idea of using the manual choke on the 32 dft on Langdon's site. Is there an easy how to out there or some steps outlined here? As for the 32dft, I literally bolted it on, connected my fuel source, and it started. It scared me when it did because I really wasn't expecting it!

Latest posts