81 interstate - battery constantly running down - can I troubleshoot stator?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbags

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - been awhile, hope you are all riding safe!

My 81 interstate was eating its battery but would start if I left it alone 4 an hour...I've soldered the stator wires per the how-to
Here on cgw - new battery is in - it ran all the way down today - wouldn't start leaving work, thank god I've learned to park uphill...

The battery is back on the charger, reading properly at 12.6 - it's on the trickle overnight.

The motor was rebuilt by the previous ( second) owner - well he had it rebuilt by a good shop. So I am afraid that the stator is the issue. Any good ideas on how I can troubleshoot? I've become pretty handy on this bike but I've never pulled a motor - am I totally screwed?

Thanks as always in advance and ride safe!

Do not forget to check the big plug that is connected to your regulator/rectifier. It gets a bad connection and then the battery will not get charged because the R/R does not sense the battery. I would suggest pulling the connection apart, cleaning and re-install making sure you have a good connection. I also installed an analog voltmeter in my faring that is connected to the accessory terminal on my fuse block and I can tell right away if the stator is not working or if the DC system is not charging. (Great $12 investment!) Look in the pic on the left side tucked in down by my Stebel horn.

Stebel 1.JPG

Gerry thanks! I fixed the connection at the stator but have not done the same at the r/r unit. I am going to look at that immediately. The video joe pointed me to is an awesome tutorial, I'm gonna go over the entire thing. I hope it is the connection or a bad r/r - I don't know why pulling the motor gives me a headache, probably because I am afraid I'll kill the best bike I've ever ridden.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=90126#p90126:1m00y6ri said:
chrisbags » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:12 pm[/url]":1m00y6ri]
I don't know why pulling the motor gives me a headache, probably because I am afraid I'll kill the best bike I've ever ridden.
Nawwwww....couldn't kill it if you wanted to! If it makes you feel any better, my daughters pulled and swapped the engines in my bike. :hihihi:

Hey guys turns out the stator is good, bike is charging at 13.1 v at idle, 14.7 at 4k RPM - rectifier and regulator seem to check out as well. Thanks for pointing me to the tests. I think the issue is that there is a short in the starter motor. I am going to pull that today and see what the issue is.

I'll let y'all know.

Thanks!