83 Aspencade Restoration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcol

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up this 83 with a blown head gasket and I have it sorted out mechanically. I now need to get on with getting the plastic fixed. One major problem is with the 2 rear side bins and the center luggage bin. They all have varying degrees of age wear. The large center bin has what appears to be blisters in the finish, almost like large bubbles have come up through the clear coat. It will require some major sanding and a repaint. My question is about the two side bins. I have attached a picture of the bike as it now is to give you an idea of it's colour scheme and it looks like all the pin striping on the fairing, faux gas tank, side panels and center bin are silver/white. Hard to tell becuase of fading. However on the lids of the two small rear side bins the pinstriping is clearly gold. Since I was going to start with these smaller pieces in order to get my technique down I went ahead and bought gold pin stripping but I am thinking it's odd that the only gold PS is on these two lids. It does not look like these lids have been repainted because the black and silver/gray match the rest of the bike. Does anyone know if this is how the bike came? I guess it is possible that these lids are from another bike with the same basic colours but with gold pin stripping. I like the looks of the gold and it is a Gold Wing but I'd like to keep it looking as original as possible. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• P6050257.JPG
    P6050257.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 255
I have exactly the same model but mine has no gold pinstriping. Also where yours is black mine is more of a charcoal grey.
Mine is a UK model but I think the colour coding was the same as US.
In my avatar picture it shows mine with the luggage kit from the 1200 - when me and wife go away for weekend she likes to take the kitchen sink with us ,

Thanks for the replies. I think I will got with the silver pin stripes. New question: I have started to sand the center luggage bin and I can't figure out how to get the Honda emblem off. There are two small holes on the inside with two small posts that hold the emblem however I can't see how the pins are secured. I don't want to break it. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks - If there are nuts in there they must be very small. It looks like the holes have been partially filled with some sort of filler, I guess to keep everything in place. I was wondering if this filler was what was holding the emblem on. Here is a pic:

I will dig out the filler and try to see if I can find the fasteners. I'm not sure if I have anything small enough to get on them and turn them out. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20120715_111934.JPG
    20120715_111934.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 196
Nuts would be on the inner surface. Looks like that emblem is likely glued on. With a large strong putty knife and a lot of patience you may be able to pry them off.