83 Interstate: Anti-dive question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RckRagman

Reaction score
I've seen the owner's manual say what the anti-dive numbers mean (1-Light; 2-Medium; 3-Hard; 4-Maximum) but I don't understand it all that well. I've tried all four settings, but seem to get the exact same results...Perhaps I'm not setting it with the proper procedure...

Here's what happens: While braking, the front end of my bike seems to dip down about 2 inches...If I pump the brakes, I can get it to bounce what feels like 3 or 4 inches. I'm running 20psi in the front forks and have tried each setting. I change the setting with a standard flat-head screwdriver while on the center stand, then try riding a few miles to check it out. Is there a step I'm missing when selecting the setting (like lifting up on the front end or something)???

I'm going out this morning to add the supports to my trailer hitch and clean her up a bit (Monday is supposed to be in the 80s around here!) so any thoughts would be appreciated....Thanks.

OH, just wanted to throw this out there as well...I finally got my TEMP/FUEL gauge in the mail. Replaced it last night when I got home from work...First time I've had a working TEMP gauge since I've owned the bike and I'm happy to report that it works well.

The antidive relies on using the front brake while moving to activate it.

Mine didn't seem to do anything either so I took both sides apart.
That is when I found grunge inside even though I had flushed the forks.
It's been awhile but it seems like I found a bad O ring in the left side, not sure.

When they're working they do help, not much really.
Progressive springs are the best (almost a required) improvement on the 83.

+1 on what Dan said..and check oil levels..but clean out teh forks completely and starting over..and/or adding progressive springs..

If you pull the springs out progressives are one spring OEM Honda are two. Progressives don't need air to work properly..no air and they really dive not progressive

Yes the stock springs suck,and the TRAC wasnt really that succesful either,hince short lived.
Disassemble as mentioned and consider upgrading to progressives.

Latest posts