88 Gl1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the 98 valk so it's similar but not quite the same. Flat 6 is a nice motor with good pull even at low rev. 1200 belt tensioners are the same as 1500. Ride I can't compare. Valk is built on a different frame.

Yup!

Attachments

• 00m0m_aLQIM2dYlZ1_600x450.jpeg
    00m0m_aLQIM2dYlZ1_600x450.jpeg
    16.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 00303_kliQGzi1Ylz_600x450.jpeg
    00303_kliQGzi1Ylz_600x450.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 167
That is a decent price for a 1500!! The only issue that I am aware of to even look into is check the frame at any joint and look for cracks. There was an issue with frame cracks although I am pretty Honda recalled all the bikes with the cracks and did permanent repairs.

Any idea what has been replaced? On my 93 I've done throttle cables, steering head bearings, wheel bearings, alternator, speakers, belt tensioners(1200/1500), belts and the cruise control unit. Aging vacuum hoses can be problematic.

Still that's alot of bike for $1,300!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159252#p159252:52wd8z67 said:
mcgovern61 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:01 pm[/url]":52wd8z67]
That is a decent price for a 1500!! The only issue that I am aware of to even look into is check the frame at any joint and look for cracks. There was an issue with frame cracks although I am pretty Honda recalled all the bikes with the cracks and did permanent repairs.
it was the early 1800's that had the problem with the frame cracking
only problem I had with my '93 was the bank angle sensors going bad which were replaced under warranty, free of charge, check with a dealer to see if your BAS were on the recall list

The 88's had carb, valve train, drive train back lash issues, dealt with in the 1990 models. Checked into all this when i bought a new Wing in 91. :read: Still for the money looks like a good buy. :salute:

people are always discounting the 88-89 1500s ....they are fine bikes ...they all have weak shifters in 3rd anf forth ....all the way up tell they made the valkery 1500s ....i guess decided then it was time to beef trans a bit ...think that was 97....biggest discount they did was dropping reverse in 93 ithink on the cheapr modles ....snatch that thing if you can paddy

Joe's on target with the trans comment. :good: Have been watching for the chance to acquire a 97 for some time now, but still worth more than i can part with. :roll: If & when one can be purchased, will try to make a 1500 standard hooligan bike out of my 91, to keep my 84 standards company. :yes: Then if the transmission ever needs work, it will be easier to pull the motor. Think a standard with the 1500 would be a serious torque monster, plus cruse, & reverse would be a nice feature! :thank_you: No serious knocking of the 88's was intended, but you asked what might be issues with them, only know what was said back then. But for the cash still a buy :hi:

:thanks: Thanks for all the encouragement, however,
The CFO (wife) says no more until :rtfm: I liquidate some other assets. That, and she truly loves the 83 Aspy, I told her that if she sat on the 88 she wouldn't get back on the 83, but she wouldn't hear it.
I also suggested a his & hers arrangement, but she doesn't ride and has no desire to learn.
So unless I can sell my slide-in camper and or my Shadow (the two toys that are least utilized) my lust for 2 more cylinders has to wait.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159344#p159344:2qhfmkis said:
paddy.shadow » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:02 pm[/url]":2qhfmkis]
:thanks: Thanks for all the encouragement, however,
The CFO (wife) says no more until :rtfm: I liquidate some other assets. That, and she truly loves the 83 Aspy, I told her that if she sat on the 88 she wouldn't get back on the 83, but she wouldn't hear it.
I also suggested a his & hers arrangement, but she doesn't ride and has no desire to learn.
So unless I can sell my slide-in camper and or my Shadow (the two toys that are least utilized) my lust for 2 more cylinders has to wait.
Any pics of the Shadow? My daughter needs something lower to the ground than a Wing. :popcorn:

Had a 87, VT1100 shadow that i bought new in 87.Loved the LOOKS, & bike. Picked up a GL1100 with Vetter fairing set up for possible rain & cooler riding. Ride was so much better as far as my bad back went, found the shadow was ridden less than the old 1100 wing was. When i took the 1500 for a test ride as was going to upgrade to bigger wing with cruse, & reverse. Came sat back down & traded BOTH in on the 1500,& NEVER regretted the purchase,& trade off of the Shadow for the 1500. The 1200 standard is a better hooligan bike than the 1100 Shadow ever was, much more RARE an animal, & better in EVERY real way. Brakes, handling, suspension, everything but looks, the 87, 1100 shadow was, & is a beautiful bike to look at. I would deal with any of the potential 88 issues, the carbs being on the top of my list, spare parts from parted out bikes are pretty plenty full, & reasonably priced most of the time. The shadow might like a new home where it has a higher priority in the garage, & the 1500 would have a better place as well.