A word to the wise about conversions.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryinmich57

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone who is going to do a external alternator conversion.
Now I know maybe everyone will think of this already but I will say it anyway.
When I did mine on Stella last winter I did not think ahead about what kind of job it would be changing the belt,
I thought I was good to keep everything tight so I did not have to move the raditor much and the faring would fit right back on.
BUT this was a mistake, I noticed a little fraying on my belt the other day and know a few of us are planning a ride up to the "tunnel of trees" in northern lower Michigan next weekend I thought I should put on a new belt, After all only $9.00 for piece of mind on the ride.
That's when I found out this is going to be a big job. I needed to move the raditor forward to get the belt off the pulley, to do this I had to unhook the bottom hose, and to do that I had to drain the coolant not a big deal right? WRONG :sensored:
But to refill Stella the seat and false tank had to come off because hands are too big to get to the rad. cap.
Right after I posted pics of her conversion someone asked me "can you get the belt off over the pulley" and I said I never tried thinking I would cross that bridge when it comes and I was ready to ride. :Egyptian:
But now I know I will be revamping her setup this winter.
Jerry

hmmm yes ...rather a problem mods can be rough going but thats how we get better and better at it ...i run into things all the time that seems swmall and turn big to figh through

Take lots of photos on the trip....??? just add two washers to your spacers that should be enough to remove your belt..I allowed for that on mine.. :shock: :hihihi:

I glad you saw this post then backlander. :yes:
It will take more than a couple of washers littlebeaver. lol :smilie_happy:
Remember I am a cnc machinist by trade I work all day with close tolerances, my pulley runs so close to the radiator that if it rains the fins will wipe off the water on the pulley so I need to make longer spacers. :swoon:
Jerry

Edit
I will try to get lots of pics right now I am trying to think of a way to mount my video camera on Stella for some video they say it is a great ride when the colors on the leaves are out. if you google "tunnel of trees" it will come up I think it is on highway m119

Oh yeah you're that guy,,,,,,Oh yeah I remember now, hey are you going to make pullie for everyone here..????I agree with the longer spacer, no biggie..I wish you a great time on you're journey...

I am curious,are you using a V-belt or serpentine belt?

My thinking is that the V-belt is both narrower and uses a narrower pully,leaving more room.

Tory":1dljwplq said:
I am curious,are you using a V-belt or serpentine belt?

My thinking is that the V-belt is both narrower and uses a narrower pully,leaving more room.

I am using a 3/8 wide v-belt with a 4 inch pulley so I just barely moved the rad.

Question Jerry. Did you space the radiator out because of the cooling fan or is the pulley actually that close to the radiator itself. The reason I ask is I'm trying to find a different cooling fan, one that is not as thick as the stock fan. The stock fan is 2 5/8 thick and I've got one that is 2 inches thick.

backlander":x0unoviv said:
Question Jerry. Did you space the radiator out because of the cooling fan or is the pulley actually that close to the radiator itself. The reason I ask is I'm trying to find a different cooling fan, one that is not as thick as the stock fan. The stock fan is 2 5/8 thick and I've got one that is 2 inches thick.

I spaced the radiator for the pulley. I think I have a picture of the fan I used in my gallery it was off a 500 kawasaki ninja I have in the back of the garage that does not get ridden as much anymore (too old for that bike I think) it kinda bolted right on.lol
I will see if I can take a few more close up pics tomarrow.
Jerry

Ok. I figured if I had to space it out, I was going to use those hex shaped all thread rod couplings or some old cb antenna hex couplings to make the spacer. Heck, they even chrome plated.

hi Jerry, sorry to hear of your troubles with Stella, I was the one who mentioned about the belt having clearance, I have about 3/4 of an inch in front of the fan. Unfortunately that means that you will have to find a rad hose that will work (I found one at a local auto parts place). hopefully you will get to ride her soon.......Denis :eek:k: :rocks: :moped:

Latest posts