about to mount first try at single carb setup

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who444444

Reaction score
Yet one more person's variation to see what will work. I've attached a pic of my mock up single to try. I will use "Tom's" carb,
2 to 1 riser, vw manifold and stock elbows for first try. Don't laugh, I'm using electrical pvc schedule 80 , 1 and 1/4 pipe for runners.
Two straight pieces and the other pieces with short offset done by heating and bending with heat gun.
the i.d. of pvc is the same as i.d. of vw manifold and o.d. of pvc is same as inlet to honda elbows. also used 1 and 5/8 fuel rated hose to slip over vw manifold
and over pvc as mechanical connection. not much gap between pvc and vw manifold.
Hope to fire it up tomorrow.
I also have a set of glacier bay grab rails that I may try after I see what happens with this. They are 1 and 1/2 but I am thinking of using some 1 inch pvc as chokes or maybe even venturis. The 2 to 1 has made things easier to mock up as I can mount the carb which ever direction I need to and I did not have to fill and drill or grind to make carb fit vw manifold.
Thanks to all, as I have used everyones' advice and experience to finally push me to get something done. This will also give me a base line to compare to if I make more mods and changes. :thanks:
dave
mockup.jpg

btw is the air filter mount stud that comes with Tom's carb 6 mm?
I'm going to maybe need a longer one and that is what it seems to be as near as I can tell.
I thought it was a quarter fine thread but my quarter 28 die would not thread on.
thanks, dave

might be able to use phone video to you tube and post link.
I would start video after fuel fills carb bowl so you don't have to watch me cranking and cranking starter. :doh:

You could use a gravity feed or squirt bottle in the carby. I often fill the bowl through the vent tubes.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110072#p110072:36qb8yal said:
joedrum » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:40 am[/url]":36qb8yal]
spin the starter with plugs out and kill switch off ... fills the carb quickly...and no trauma.... put plugs back in and start ..
+1 fastest and easiest way!

The stud is 6.0-1.0 thread iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as all the connection are tight it looks great! Check it over well for any leaks. The most likely place to leak as I see it now is the intake horns at the heads. They seal best if left loose from the rest of the set up so they pull down flat and even.

thanks for the stud info. Hose is from napa.
Started it today and had vac leak at carb to 2 to 1 connection.
tightened a bit more and started again. adjust idle mix and speed screw and then took vid of a startup. down the block run showed flat spot off idle
and further checking with spray shows still a small vac leak at base of carb so off it is right now.
Valentine day tomorrow and and family b-day this weekend so I won't look at it till beginning of next week.
No manifold heat as yet while trying different setups. Still it ran a lot better than my stock setup with all the carbs working only sometimes :good:
here is link to youtube of start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhn3jTQ ... ata_player

yes this is the deal ... it seems obvious the transition piece 1to2 and the type 4 are perfect parts mixing mod for the oldwind single carb mod to a great success .. it is so rewarding seeing these projects come together ...we have fought hard to keep info clear and moving forward ... great work

Ok here is an update. remounted carb now without vacuum leak, and re adjusted idle mix and idle speed screw. 1.5 + turns on mix screw.
Idling pretty smooth at 1000 rpm. Quick trip in truck to autozone for aftermarket air filter, about 8 bucks. Using cutoff bottom of coffee can for filter top ( don't laugh it worked) for today so I could get a short test ride in. Low 60's today and just rode about 6 or 7 miles. Only bogged off idle once 'cause I pulled away from stop in 2nd gear. :doh:
Only thing I noticed is maybe a little flat spot just under 5,000 rpm just before the secondary opens. But then it really does jump quick and will easily rev higher than I want to run this engine.
I rarely take it over 7000 rpm and for me I usually run between 4000 to 6000 rpm I thought I would try a few different setups and probably will eventually but for now I'm going to try to put a few tanks of gas through this configuration and see how it works. It sure felt nice and put a smile on my face. I'll post a more long term test report when I get some more miles on it.
If it starts to act up or give me icing issues I'll report it right away to all ,but count me as one more person who will never go back to multiple carbs. :thanks: for sharing info everyone.
dave

Latest posts