Adjusting pilot screws.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlslick

Reaction score
I can't get to the front carbs pilot screws, especially when the engine is hot. Anybody have a trick or special tool ?

1100 suck in the screw adjustment in the bottom side of rack near center ...there is a special tool for that ...some people can actualy adjust those screws ...i cant even come to doing it ...the 1200 is kinda sidways and in better possition but they are pluged from factory most have been unpluged to get at ...not sure what bike you talking about

Thanks Dan, I am picking one of these tools up tomorrow when I am in Columbus. It looks like Iron Pony should have it. My Wife is going to give it to me for my Birthday. I told her I would act surprised when I opened it up and not even notice the grease on it from using it.
:smilie_happy:

I have one of these, but don't know if it would flex/bend enough to get to the screws...I've never tried. I may hafta check that out and see....you can use different "socket" ends with different blades for different screws. This is also what I use to get the cover off of the ignition/pulse generator.

I haven't attempted this adjustment yet, but If and when I do my first plan is to try this tool.

I've had this tool since before fuel injection, so I don't know how hard it would be to find one now days. But I could see fabricating something similar without too much trouble. It looks like it's made from speedometer cable. Each end has a different driver head on it. You fit the handle over the square part of the driver at the opposite end to turn it.
I had 2 of these tools, giving me 4 different types of drivers. Can't find the other one, but just as well, I think I'm finished with it anyways.
image.php

image.php

I got one of those, too, but I don't know if it is long enough to reach the screws....sure worth a try!

The speedometer cable tool is a good bet but I think the rubber guide is way to long to be of use. The flexy carb screwdriver I usually use is too stiff to turn 90 deg. in that tight a space. I bought one of those screwdrivers from ironponydirect and although it helps it's still pretty crappy. I use a combination of 3 different tools to get at the screws and I've resorted to just running them all at a fixed number of turns out and then taking it for a low speed drive and performing a plug check. re-adjust, another drive, another plug check. As far as I'm concerned those screws should be classified as "inaccessible" or "factory set, do not attempt to adjust". :rant: The #1 carb is the deal breaker for me.

Latest posts