alternative single carb mod (On the Cheap)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
Looking at the carb rack I had an idea to come up with the simplest possible single carb mod.

First I thought why not gut the stock rack, seal off all jets with epoxy, and put covers over the slider openings after removing them.
Next screw on an adaptor plate to accept a single carb.

Then I thought how about using the stock carbs butterflies to regulate air flow past the single carb venturies to pull gas in.

Smart or dumb?

Or sumpin like diss :ahem: :hi:

Attachments

• No_Carbs.jpg
    No_Carbs.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 389
Hi Dan, there was a person who did something close to what your talking about! But if my remembery :beg: serves me right, he kept the carbs as you are talking about and totally gutted them then sealed them because of possible leaks. He also put a tube between each for what he said was for better equalization,.... and mounted a single barrel Weber!! I'll have to see if I can find that piticular post!! Later, :moped: Bob

In that design the stock bodies are removed.

My thought was try it with the bodies in place screwing the adapter plate down at the same place the filter bracket holder screws to.
This could theoretically reduce parts needed to a carb and an adapter plate.
Next would be to rig the linkage.

Just looking for easiest and cheapest.

bobs right i read that to but the guy never posted again that i know of ....but he left all the carbs in place but gutted and it did have linkaged access tubed to the carb next to it and it all looked stock and he had it painted up nice too ....i was hoping to see more of it and get an update on how it worked aftyer some seat time but never did see anything

I've been doing some searches and its looking like the easiest and maybe cheapest is to take the carbs out and replace with pvc.
Connecting the pvc to intake runners is a easy clamp deal, connecting to the plenum I'm thinking to use slip to male threaded fittings with a nut on 1/4" thick plastic plates shaped to fit on the plenum.
Gluing the male connectors to the plate should seal it up, especially if the whole is a snug fit. The nuts would help prevent stress cracks.

To be continued.....

Dang i might consider this as a future investment in time and money! This is crazy. This forum is awesome!

Thats insane! Does it suffer any drawbacks or anything? Does the bike its installed on run well or normal? Insane! Insane!

Number 2 carb has problems.
I have another rack but it needs $200+ for a Randakk kit.
It might cost close to that to do a single carb but little bits spent over time is easier to do.

Randaak makes some good points. However the single carb is to add simplicity and dependability to the equation. Almost every version does this nicely. No single carb cars ever were competitive on race day. However they did keep up with traffic. If you want the best performance use the best rack of carbs you can find and adjust them properly.

Latest posts