Anybody else mixing oil in their gas?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey66

Reaction score
I`ve been puttin in a "swisch"(bout half a cup) of two-stroke oil in with every tank full and the bike thanks me for it.It runs,idles better,seems to help lubricate the valve seats as well as they need less attention/adj.,even sounds better,and NO it dont smoke! This also helps fight corosion and oxidation in the fuel system caused by methanol(water) in todays fuels. I think some people use ATF,probley pretty much same effect.Anybody else do this and what do YOU use?

Every now and then I put 2oz of Marvel Mystery Oil in a full tank just to keep things lubed-up. It will smoke a little more when I leave it on the side-stand for a few days, but it clears up in no time.

Smokey66":rh6j9496 said:
Marvel Mystery Oil ? Rich guy huh? I got five gallons of two-stroke oil for FREE and thats why I use that.

Me, rich, HA not by a long shot!!! Someone gave me this can a few years ago, finally found a reason to use it.

ATF (and MMO) are used because of their HIGH detergent content... 2 stroke oil won't hurt but it is usually non-detergent so wont really help. As a lubricant it will be thinned out by the fuel and unable to bond to any surface substantially enough to act as a decent lube.

I think i take exception to that rickyd (no ofence intended) However all 2 strokes usually mix gas and oil for upper engine lube.. Raced and rode them for many years... had some seze up on me for trying to thin out the mixture.... :Egyptian: :Egyptian: Raced yamaha's, Suzukies ,Honda's, Bultako's, Kowasaki's... the faster I got the Highrt the ratio of oil to gas. The buls were the most trouble...Had to rebuilt them twice a year...could never git the tight ratio either too rich (lots of smoke )or too lean (sezure).... :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

atf is easier to get then mmo. The big difference between atf and mmo is that mmo doesn't have the friction modifiers that atf has. In fact its probably cheaper to make. I was curious about using power steering fluid, for some reason I have quite the collection of it.

macka":36rmb68j said:
atf is easier to get then mmo. The big difference between atf and mmo is that mmo doesn't have the friction modifiers that atf has. In fact its probably cheaper to make. I was curious about using power steering fluid, for some reason I have quite the collection of it.

I always used to top up power steering pumps with atf then power steering fluid came along.

Same stuff? Non detergent?

It's a mystery fluid that begs an answer! :popcorn:

Well if I would have had a five gallon bucket of ATF(or mmo) I would have used that.The idea was to replace the "Heavy Oils" that are missing in todays fuel.That and to fight corosion/oxidation in the fuel system caused by Methanol and the water it leaves behind.

I texted my brother, he asked a guy he works with (chemical engineer), who tried to get info. He is going to ask a guy he went to school with (also a chem engineer) who works for Petro refineries what the difference is.

chasrogers":1l87kdkg said:
great stuff brudda and this will be confermed by the proper people :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

I'll get it rubber stamped from the boys in the rubber room

dan filipi":1690n0rd said:
macka":1690n0rd said:

I always used to top up power steering pumps with atf then power steering fluid came along.

Same stuff? Non detergent?

It's a mystery fluid that begs an answer! :popcorn:

Power steering fluid is much like ATF, but without all the friction modifiers.

ATF has to be able to properly lubricate the gear-sets in a transmission, that a power steering system does not have, along with providing a hydraulic function, cooling, and power transference inside the torque converter. ATF will work fine in most power steering systems, but the reverse is not true....power steering fluid in a transmission is not a good idea.
For use in a fuel system, I would think the ATF would be the better choice.

AApple":2x9w3bj5 said:
ATF has to be able to properly lubricate the gear-sets in a transmission, that a power steering system does not have, along with providing a hydraulic function, cooling, and power transference inside the torque converter. ATF will work fine in most power steering systems, but the reverse is not true....power steering fluid in a transmission is not a good idea.
For use in a fuel system, I would think the ATF would be the better choice.

I thought that's what I said, but I see the difference now. :thanks:

Latest posts