Anyone ever hit an animal?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of bicycles, I've seen pictures of a small animal try to go through a spoked bicycle wheel, and the rotating wheel slammed the body against the forks. Broke the fork, but it was carbon fiber and I'm sure the impact wasn't what it was really designed for.

hmmm... well, I've had dogs hit my wheels, I had a furball poodlemutt dart through the gap and get it's (retractible' leash wound up in my crank and pedals, and I've had debris go through my spokes.... just part of life I guess... LOOONG time ago, whilst on a racing team, I had a guy try to put his frame pump into my front wheel (as a way to crash me out of the race). Unfortunately for him, and fortunately for me, I was running Wienmann Concave clincher rims, 36-hole, with 14ga DT spokes and high-flange Campagnolo hubs... it was before aluminium and composite appeared. Normally, I would've been running Wolber 32-hole rims with double-butted spokes, Vittoria sew-ups and low-flange hubs, but it was a rough road, and I was a 'blocker', so I chose the more durable, vs, the higher performance option.

Suffice to say, his little Silca frame pump, against my mass, got bent into a hook around one fork leg, and yanked out of his hand. When we got to the next turn, I pulled off in front of a judge, who immediately DQ'd his team. My team didn't win, but I think I still have the remains of that umbrella in a box somewhere....

It'd really depend on the animal, how 'far' in it got, and what the bike was. Motorcycle wheel... spokes are pretty close, and there's a brake disk usually on one side. An aluminum wheel more likely, but again, brake disk.

My Cannondale Synapse... it's a radially-laced wheel with very few spokes. If a chipmunk or tree squirrel went in, it'd come out in half. If it was a groundhog, I'd be worried... EVEN IF it came out in half. If it was a skunk... well... never mind. NONE of those would be appealing, and I would expect that if they came through in such a way that it stopped the wheel, it would break a spoke or two rather than the fork, but the results of an instantly-stopped front wheel would result in a spill that would be likely to fractur a fork blade, especially up near the crown.

Latest posts