Bent engine guard

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
Finally figured out a way to bend my left engine guard out after about 2 years futzing taking the #2 plug out with the guard in the way.
I'd have to loosen the engine guard to get the boot off and plug socket on then it occurred to me there's a simple solution.

IMG_0690.JPG

The jack from the Suburban placed against the bike frame.
It takes much less force than I expected to bend it out.

IMG_0693.JPG

Crank it way out because it settles back quite a bit.

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

How is that gonna effect yer hiway boards, and yer foot placement on them?
I don't have a problem getting to any of the plugs on mine. Was your guard bent or something?

mcgovern61":35galtqh said:
Interesting location for your ground wire.

In front of the bracket instead of behind, as long as it's clean with metal to metal contact it get's the job done.

dan filipi":1k7cuc3l said:
Well I don't got's any highway boards so no problem there.

So...what the heck do ya call the board I see in the lower left yer pics? :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: Boot jacks? :smilie_happy:

AApple":1xvaglfc said:
dan filipi":1xvaglfc said:
Well I don't got's any highway boards so no problem there.

So...what the heck do ya call the board I see in the lower left yer pics? :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: Boot jacks? :smilie_happy:

Oh I was thinking you said running boards, no affect on the highway boards.
Bending the bars out in actuality is only an inch or 2.

My kinda solution(car jack)! Ahem... :ahem: My girl has gone over a couple times and once with Jan on board, anyway the bars were always able to keep their shape. Did you go down really hard once?

~O~

My guards are different. They go straight back without that angled section. It would seem to me that the angle on the guard sets you up for a bent guard when the bike goes over. I have set mine down more than once (old age.....forget to put down the side stand) and the guard does not get bent. Although the bike also rests on the side bags which are pretty deep and strong.

Latest posts