Brake and Clutch levers?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straydog99

Reaction score
Looking for chrome brake and clutch levers for my 1989 GL1500. I find some that fit 1990 and newer or others that fit 1988-1989. Is there really a difference between them? If so, what is it? Thanks

There is no difference. Go to...for example.. Partzilla.com Part numbers for clutch and brake levers are same for the years you referenced...and even more. Look at parts diagram under clutch master cylinder. brake master cylinder.. illustrations and part numbers clearly shown.

The problem is chrome aftermarket levers are shaped differently from what I can tell. 88-89 are different from 90-2000. There seems to be a little nub on the 88-89 that's not there on newer ones. All of the chrome new ones I see are marked for 90-2000. I have seen one place that has chrome for 88-89 and I'm not sure they are listed correctly. I don't want to spend money on something and find out that the seller doesn't know what they are talking about. Someone told me there IS a difference in that the little nub is needed on 88-89. It has something to do with turning off the cruise when you engage the clutch and that a piece could be soldered on to make it work. I'm not going through all that just to have chrome levers. I'll just stick with the stock ones until I can find someone who has added chrome and find out where they got them. Thanks again.

Well.... Thinking others will chime in. Thinking some riders here have installed aftermarket chrome levers.

Just a thought....go to partzilla.com. Click on the appropriate part number for a lever. Will display the various applications for said part number. Lots of interchangeability.......

I understand. I know you are looking for chrome levers My point was with the part numbers.... the same levers fit various years and Honda models.

When I went looking for chrome levers for my 85 LTD, most vendors did not list it. But, I purchased the correct ones after referencing a Honda parts list.

OK...I did a more thorough search. 1988 -89 have the same handles. 1990 and up have the same clutch handle as 88-89 but the brake handle is a different part number. That's not going to help me I'm afraid. The chrome brake handle is going to be the tough one to find. Thanks again.

Yep, I saw those but after all the searching I'm just not sure they will work. I'd hate to spend $40 and they don't work properly. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll send him a message and ask what he knows about them.

I sent the seller asking if he was sure about the fitment. He does have others listed for the 90-2000 and they are a different part number. I may have found some that fit!

Well, I bought them. The seller got back to me and we'll see what happens in about a week or so. I report back then. Thanks

Latest posts