Brake calipers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torque818

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if front calipers from an 81-83 bolt right up to an 80? single piston calipers really are weak, I'm used to sportbike brakes with serious power and I feel unsafe with these weak units and the 81-83 have at least twin piston calipers. I was going to get braided lines and try that but any ideas would be helpful.

80-81 I'm pretty sure are the same and interchange. 82 should fit also but not certain. 83 is a linked brake system foot brake applies rear and one front. Steel braided lines, DOT4 brake fluid, surfacing rotors, And new pads all help improve stopping. I doubt most sport bike weigh close to what these bikes do. Even with 10 pairs of brakes and 18 tires you can't stop a loaded semi as fast as a mini van.

'82 went to dual-piston calipers, front and rear, but the forks are the same - the mounting brackets will be needed. Also, according to the parts manual, the '80 and '81 master cylinders are the same, but '82 and '83 are each unique.

You bolt up '82 dual piston calipers onto the '80 and '81 forks, but the rotors are different. Make sure you get '82 vented rotors to go with the '82 calipers.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93462#p93462:2ffbihsd said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:24 am[/url]":2ffbihsd]
You bolt up '82 dual piston calipers onto the '80 and '81 forks, but the rotors are different. Make sure you get '82 vented rotors to go with the '82 calipers.
pretty sure the vented rotors were only on the aspencade

Vented versus solid. The Aspy rotors are dual vented (like cars).

Take a look at my front rotors in the pic.......

image.php

When I used the '81 calipers on these rotors (which are '82 rotors) the pads were tearing up on the vent slots. The '82 pads ride on the rotor below the vent slots.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93438#p93438:3ji4cepl said:
Torque818 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:50 pm[/url]":3ji4cepl]
Can anyone tell me if front calipers from an 81-83 bolt right up to an 80? single piston calipers really are weak, I'm used to sportbike brakes with serious power and I feel unsafe with these weak units and the 81-83 have at least twin piston calipers. I was going to get braided lines and try that but any ideas would be helpful.
first thing i'd do is disassemble, flush/bleed and parts as required, seals etc

there are diff pads out there, i'd get the ones that are known to bite hard, tho they prob wear out quicker

roughening up the (glaze) disks with sandpaper helps as well as going braided lines

83 & up brakes, or front ends (including 1200) are linked and dooable but then gets way more complicated and you'll have to decide about the linked deal (or not), that includes 2 front calipers that are diff sizes

some folks us sport bike front ends, like suzie hayabusa/gsxr parts ..and there are other known mixes out there