Brake rotor change over

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prairiewing81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I purchased my bike('81 GL 1100), the front wheel was a first generation comstar, so I ordered a good used wheel, but it didn't come with brake rotors. Can I swap the rotors from the '78-'79 rim to this '81 rim?

im think you can but im not sure ...its a matter of measure...if the 79 wheel is fitting and the holes in the rotor line up and i think they do ...it sould work ...i think my 79 has 80 1100 front forks 83 1100 wheel and 79 rotors and calipers on it ....i think what your doing will work ....it might 80-81 rotors on it now and the wheel only is from the 79 ...the first generation comstar are fine ...and BS about there being problems with them or the BS about not being able to use tubless tires is just machanical gossip of bad info IMHO

Is there a rotor thickness spec that I can use to verify which ones I have? I believe the original wheel was bent, so a previous owner put this rim on the bike. I don't know if he swapped the rotors, but the calipers seem to fit fine. Thank you for your help on this.
-Bruce

If the rotors fit the wheels try it. If the rotors completely cover the brake pads and it functions well you are good.

the early rotors are thicker ...to me thats better ...i had no problem useing them in my front fork mod putting 81 forks on my 79 1000 with 83 wheel ....seems all i had to do was to take the metal shim and paper gaskit off the 83 wheel and everything lined up ...it was a long time ago and i might be forgetting something but its a very doable conversion ...you just have to get the right clearence when the calipers are mounted is all there is to ...might have to shim something to get it or not ...

Latest posts