CB removal

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYWinger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Help! :beg: :beg: :beg: I need to take the CB unit out to have Sierra Electronics repair it. I have the unit loose (on the right hand side), but the three wiring harnesses go thru the front of the fairing to the left hand side (according to the factory diagrams) to connectors.
How in the HELL do I get to the ends of the cables to unhook them????? There are SOOO many wires in there, I cannot even SEE where the CB lines come out :head bang: . I've removed both turn signals and both side pockets, but the problem is tracing the wires that leave the CB unit (on the right side) to some mysterious connectors (on the left side) buried deep, DEEP in the rats nest of wiring :head bang: .
:beg: :beg: :beg: I really need to get this out so I can have it working by riding season.
I hate to admit it, but I'm at a loss on how to proceed......

Sometimes you can pull one wire at a time on the right and feel that wire on the left. This may lead you to the connectors. Be sure you label them and tie a string to the wire before you pull it out. That way you can pull the wire back to reinstall.

That's what we tried, but in the Aspencade at least, there are so dang many wires/cables in such a cramped little space, we were unable to do that........guess I need to try harder!

I remember the first time I took the turn signals off. I distinctly remember saying to myself "Gawd I hope I never have to take that stuff out."

If you find yourself getting frustrated just walk away and come back later, that usually works for me.

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106445#p106445:1476flz0 said:
dan filipi » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:14 pm[/url]":1476flz0]
we have the wiring diagrams in the Gallery.
Maybe they would help?

Yup; it was the diagrams that showed the wiring leaving the unit. I just have to find a way to get to the bottom of the fairing.... :head bang: :head bang:

How in the HELL do I get to the ends of the cables to unhook them????? There are SOOO many wires in there, I cannot even SEE where the CB lines come out :head bang: . I've removed both turn signals and both side pockets, but the problem is tracing the wires that leave the CB unit (on the right side) to some mysterious connectors (on the left side) buried deep, DEEP in the rats nest of wiring :head bang: .

Looked pretty easy on my bike??

image.php
:smilie_happy:

(Sorry John....just funnin ya! More reasons for me to go and stay Standard! :hihihi:

Take the left side panel off where your pocket is at.Just up the fairing is your component terminal. You want to pinch the 2nd from the bottom plug(Brown). That is your cb connection. On the plug you will feel a little dimple along the plug. Push that dimple in and pull. The connections have a catch on them to keep them from pulling out.(Remember at what position clock wise that the catch is at so when you put it back together you know what position the plug is at so it goes together easier) To put it back together it is easier to unplug the remaining top 4 plugs and plug back together going from bottom to top. It is easier to get the catches on the terminal. A real pita if you try to just plug the one in to the terminal-the catch will not get caught.

from the front right turn signal go up the fairing and you will feel a wire from your cb indicator. It also will have a catch to push in to unplug thaat wire.

From the left turn signal hole take the fuse apart and then pull the wire out the right turn signal hole with the cb unit.

I believe the cb unit comes out through the right fairing pcoket hole.

To answer your question-- The plugs have a catch on them that has to be pushed in to get the connection part.

Back to the left pocket opening you can just pull your antennae wire apart at the antenna distributer.And attach a string to the end and pull it through the fairing to get your cb antenna out.

Do not forget to loosen the green ground wire before pulling the cb unit out of the fairing. Usually attached by a screw.

One of my most used tools is a bent clothes hanger. twist the ends slightly so the wire goes through the hanger but the plug catches in the hanger. And gently pull the hanger and wire back through the fairing.

I have done theios sooo many times I can almost do it blind folded.

There is a big connection in there -Do not remember if it is for the cb or the radio or both-- it unscrews like a coke bottle top.

After Sierra has it fixed-I suggest you ride up and get it. There are so many capacitiers and things inside that asre 30+ years old. The mail system jars the beegeezzes out of these things. It may work at Sierras but after going through the mail it may blow another part in it. Ask me how I know.

Any questions ask away.

...next problem.....removing the instrument panel. I've gotten the two lower screws out, but am being held at bay by the two wing nuts that hold the top of the gauge panel in. Only a Minion could get in there and loosen those two wing nuts - :help: If you have done this, HOW DID YOU DO IT? :help:

Bike - 1 me - 0

Have you removed the headlight? Mirrors, windshield, and headlight need to come off in that order..then it opens tho the backside of the panel...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107105#p107105:18zhmtpp said:
Joep » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:25 am[/url]":18zhmtpp]
Have you removed the headlight? Mirrors, windshield, and headlight need to come off in that order..then it opens tho the backside of the panel...

Not on an 83 Aspencade; there is just a small (2") hole for the headlight wiring in the fairing and mirrors/windshield cover no access panels...musta been assembled originally by very, VERY small hands.... :smilie_happy:

Latest posts