clutch pad tightness

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydogg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1982 gl1100
I torque the clutch "star" thingy (that goes over the clutch pads). I used rating from the book, but it seems too tight. Now, I say "too tight", although I've never done this before, so saying "too tight" may seem a little weird. I would think that the pads wouldn't be so tight.

Anyone have a word of wisdom form me. This and finding connector plugs are the last 2 things, before putting the motor back onto the frame.

I have alway thought the proper torque did not seem enough on other bikes, have never done a GL clutch, your speaking of the 5 or 6 bolts that hold the springs down right? I would always go with what the book says and be sure your not hanging up on anything, work the clutch with a clutch cable and perch before you button it up just to be sure nothing is binding.
I used to see the kits for the alternator someplace just having trouble remembering where..If I find them I`ll get back to you.
OK..Heres a place.
https://cycleterminal.com/
By the way,, Be sure the torque is in foot pounds, some tourque is in inch pounds. Could explain why it feels tight.

Joe does a great job & stuff is what he says it is. Can't say anything bad about the guy, answer's any questions, & sends it along quickly.