Could use some advice!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gringo

Reaction score
Bought a 1982 GL1100A with 78,000 miles. Runs good....BUT!......After 30 minutes of riding oil light glows dimly?!.......Have flushed engine,replaced sending unit,cleaned oil pick-up screen, running heavier oil........Engine does not knock or overheat........Have not manually checked pressure yet!........Do you think......oil pump bad?....Bearings bad?.....Short in wire that only shows up under heat???...Please......I am looking for encouragement @ ADVICE!..........Thank You..........Gringo

Cleaned pick-up screen...............Glows at idle @ lower RPM,s......Trying to get a hold of gauge to check pressure........Any suggestions where to buy on LOW BUDGET?

dont get to upset :beg: on the good side its not knocking and it runs well

was it real dirty when you flushed it???

a lot of guys use seafoam product and mix it in the oil and run it to clean insides of motor for a 100 miles and then drain oil and change it.

this could fix it or make it worst so be careful and watch it closely if you try that

this problem could have started when you flushed it breaking something loose and maybe the seafoam might cut it some more and get rid of it with oil changing often

oh and i would start by changing oil right now. change the filter and see what the old filter looks like

just throwing things out there for your consideration good luck

gringo":3pyvqjih said:
Cleaned pick-up screen...............Glows at idle @ lower RPM,s......Trying to get a hold of gauge to check pressure........Any suggestions where to buy on LOW BUDGET?

I can't think of any way to check the pressure without buying a gauge unless someone you know has one you could borrow.
I have one I'm not using but to send it both ways the cost would be what a cheap auto parts gauge would run anyway.

Everyone is correct!.......Until i actually check the pressure manually it could be anything!.......Whenever i accomplish this TASK i will repost........Thanks for everyone,s EXCELLENT ADVICE!........The only other problem i have is......Every time i try to upload picture of bike to be my AVATAR ...it will not ACCEPT.......THANX..................GRINGO

What is your engine idle speed? Below 950 rpm, the oil light will come on.

Also, check to make sure there is no gasoline in the oil! If the oil thins out, it will not lubricate and this will cause a drop in pressure.

since you have worked on this bike.. get the wiring diagram.. and back trace the wires from the sending unit to the light... check every connection.. and clean them as best you can if slightly discolored..eliminate the cheapest first...

I would run a thicker oil just to be in the safe side till you find the culprit.I have an oil pressure installed and probably an oil temp in the future to monitor better.

carl62cycles":19i8ioat said:
I would run a thicker oil just to be in the safe side till you find the culprit.I have an oil pressure installed and probably an oil temp in the future to monitor better.

Carl62 - What oil pressure gauge did you install? An pics of the install?

mdbauer1962":r1ec7lsj said:
carl62cycles":r1ec7lsj said:

Carl62 - What oil pressure gauge did you install? An pics of the install?

Sorry no pics of the install,was done about almost two years ago.Brand is stewart wagner black face.Installed it on the center between the radio and temperature guage.

Latest posts