Disc to wheel gasket thing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckxxxx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of changing tires on my '82 (Shinko 230s) :rocks: . I took the brake discs off the front wheel to avoid damaging them during the battle to change tires.

There is a sort of gasket between the wheel and the discs. Can you buy these? Can you make them? Advice? :headscratch:

Thanks
Brian

I've never seen them for sale. They should be easy enough to make, using the rotor as a template. Keep 'em thin, so the rotor stays aligned. I assume they're for noise suppression, but someone here might know otherwise...

Thin gasket material can be used to make new. I expect the use of them is twofold. Some sound suppression as mentioned and discouraging bimetal corrosion at the wheel.

OK, I will make some replacements...thanks for that. :thanks:

I had a bike shop install 404s about 5 years ago. He balance them too. Does this seem like a lot of balance weights? BTW, There are 4 more on the other side.

Are those weights glued on? How can I remove them?

Can I do a static balance myself. On a tight budget here.

Thanks again
Brian

Should be able to peel them off and use some kind of cleaner to clean off any left over adhesive. +1 on the balance beads suggestion.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178442#p178442:38e2lzf6 said:
slabghost » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:47 pm[/url]":38e2lzf6]
Thin gasket material can be used to make new. I expect the use of them is twofold. Some sound suppression as mentioned and discouraging bimetal corrosion at the wheel.

Good point Slab. I never thought of dissimilar metals corrosion.

I seem to remember the gasket there as something to do with harmonics,... be sure and have them line up the dot on the tire with the valve stem, last tire I had mounted they did not do that and ended up with an excessive amount of weights.
Thinkin I would try fishing string pulled to and fro and try to cut under the weight just to be sure the paint doesn't peel, might just be able to peel them off but depending on the adhesive they use..I don't know for sure.

All my Hondas have the paper gaskets that space the wheel off the disc. :good:
You could use fibre washers which are available in different sizes.

Any good quality gasket paper will be fine, :good: but always use a gasket. :yes: The dissimilar metal's factor is not a bullshift fact. :nea:

Got'm all made up. :Egyptian:

My tires came today and I played myself out mounting them. :heat: They even hold air...so far at least. I put 40 psi in each. If they are still at 40 tomorrow AM :beg: I will start putting the whole thing back together.

Thanks for all the good advise. :thanks:
Brian

Latest posts