Do you give the hand wave to passing bikers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

give the wave to passing bikers

• Give sideways hand(palm side out)

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Give fist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give peace sign

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Give fingers

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Give nothing

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Give nod

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

zman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many do this..I stick my hand out sideways while passing in opposite directions if I can, except when working the gears or brakes, or they are preoccupied I don't bother.
I guess I get the hand back 75% of the time,
Is this practice old news? Just wondering.

Funny I was just thinking of this yesterday .... I have noticed a marked reduction in the number of bikes that wave back this year ...... is it something I said ( :smilie_happy: usually is) but these are strangers .... maybe its an Ontario thing..?
I should explain we are about 95% H.D. up here ...

Actually "the wave" started out many, many, many eons ago before cb's were installed as a way to let fellow bikers be able to communicate of known trouble ahead to fellow riders. The two finger salute, or peace sign palm facing in the forward direction meant "Rode clear, safe travels" and just the index finger pointing down palm forward meant "trouble ahead, be safe". Over time as riding has gotten more and more main stream, it has become known as "the wave" a gesture just to say hi. As now, many riders don't know what "the wave" really means. But yes, I do do the appropriate wave when called for. So I checked "give fingers"

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=85281#p85281:3gjc6h9u said:
82gl1100iwingman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:21 pm[/url]":3gjc6h9u]Actually "the wave" started out many, many, many eons ago before cb's were installed as a way to let fellow bikers be able to communicate of known trouble ahead to fellow riders. The two finger salute, or peace sign palm facing in the forward direction meant "Rode clear, safe travels" and just the index finger pointing down palm forward meant "trouble ahead, be safe". Over time as riding has gotten more and more main stream, it has become known as "the wave" a gesture just to say hi. As now, many riders don't know what "the wave" really means. But yes, I do do the appropriate wave when called for. So I checked "give fingers"
In the 60's my dad was a truck driver and they had a similar system. 1 finger was an all clears message, but the peace sign meant that there was a cop back down the road.

:shock: I weren't aware that different hand waves meant different things. Yeeesh....wonder how many folks I've t-ed off while waving?!? :whistling: I hardly ever do the same thing twice....normal hand-up wave, peace sign(my fav since the '70's), hand down to the side....just whatever strikes me at the time. If busy, I'll do the head nod, but...at 70mhp, I doubt it's noticeable to other riders across the road.... :wave:

Around the greater Philly area, they use signals all the time....even the cagers!! As a matter of fact...just last weekend, as I was turning off onto a ramp and a car tried to cut me off, I blasted him with my Stebil Nautilus horn and he politely changed his mind! :clapping:

He even showed appreciation for me pointing out his error by giving me a cool finger up hand signal, kinda like a salute using his middle finger and waving it very quickly and high up to be sure I knew he was sorry! What could I do but smile and wave back? :yes:

He was very appreciative! He even tried to thank me verbally too! I could see him saying something through those big teeth. Alas, with my helmet on and tunes playing, I just could not make out what his apology was, but I did catch something that he said........you will never believe this......but I think he though my Wife was my Mother! :ahem: Ha, ha...that silly goose.....my Wife doesn't look anything like my Mother! Not only that.....but that silly goose thought she was a trucker!! :smilie_happy:

Smile and wave I say! :doh:

Latest posts