Does the 85 GL1200i have a headlight relay?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_Charlton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1984 GL1200I
1988 GL1500
The headlight works sometimes and other times refuses to come on. All other lights are working normal. Ride it a little and the headlight may come on. When the headlight isn't working, the high beam indicator light won't come on, so I may be looking for a loose connection.

I didn't see a headlight relay in the schematics and the parts fiche doesn't list a headlight relay. I understand the starter button disconnects the headlight to provide more starting power. Maybe I just need to clean the starter button?

Both voltmeters (digital & analog) say the system is charging up to 15 volts, depending upon how long the engine has been running. Battery is good (less than 3 months old).

This is why I have multiple bikes. One to ride, one to work on, and a spare that probably has a dead battery due to lack of use.

Tom

I filled all reachable connectors with di-electric grease last winter, so I didn't expect to find the problem quickly. However, after using contact cleaner on the starter button brought no joy, resetting the connector on the starter button cable cured the problem. :Egyptian:

Now to trouble-shoot the front brake switch because it doesn't activate the brake lights. :builder: