Educate me on the 1500s

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmopars

Reaction score
I currently have an 1100 and I like it, but thinking I would like to upgrade in the near future to a newer bike. I like the 1500 and think it would do what I want. I am wondering about a few things. What should I look for and watch out for? How is the MPG? I am about 42 with my GL1100. Are they all carbed or was there any EFI?
I guess I am just looking for advice before I make a purchase and regret not knowing more about them. I got lucky with my 1100, knew nothing and found a good one cheap, lightning rarely strikes twice.
Thanks for any advice.
Scott

Scott, others will be along that own 1500's, but sometimes with these Goldwings lightning can strike 2, 3 or 4 times! These bikes are built very well and they are fairly easy to maintain as you know.

i've had my '93 since august 01, 2008. i am very happy with the purchase. more room for you and your passenger. my milage is usually between 38 and 44mpg. i've done the progressive suspension upgrade front and rear, the front was too soft after having to do the rear shocks ( blown left shock ). my alternator went out just before the m&g at joes, it 's about a 40 minute job to replace it although other jobs take longer because of tupperware removal and reinstallation. i also had to replace the #3 relay, it controls the lights. but the realys are partly covered by the left saddlebag and i had to remove it to get at the relay. despite having to remove tupperware to do minor work i still like my 1500 wing more than my 1200 wing

:cool: I love my new to me 1500. Off the bat, more comfort, more power, way way easier to put on the center stand. Then there is more power, I love using my intercom speakers in my helmet to listen to the stereo, and there is more power. Cruising on the freeway is smooth, smooth, smooth. Mine came with 129K on the clock but it feels like 29K. All I've had to replace so far are the throttle cables, but I got that done at a shop for only $200 including OEM parts. Not sure if this helps or even makes sense I'm sick as a dog atm and filled with 5 different drugs. Oh yeah, the power is nice too.

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97354#p97354:38eyfsgm said:
oldmopars » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:40 pm[/url]":38eyfsgm]
Cool, what years came with reverse? Any features to look for or look out for?
Get at the least an Aspencade, or better yet an SE, an Interstate is minimal and does not have many options such in the wiring harness to add extra components, my 95 Aspy has harness plugs for the front side markers, corner lights, rear speakers, so bit by bit its becoming an SE right now.
My only gripe is my size 12 foot barely gets under the shifter so a heel toe kit may be in the works, or an adjustable foot peg such as on the SE I believe.
The GL1500 holds its value very well, especially the SE version.

in 1990 honda split the goldwing into the interstate, aspencade and se. aspencades and se's have reverse the interstate doesn't have reverse. if you are looking at an '88 or '89 reverse was an option that was ordered when you purchased the bike . interstates and aspencades have a solid paint color where as the se's had two tone paint jobs

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97381#p97381:23bylz05 said:
Silverado6x6 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:05 am[/url]":23bylz05]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97354#p97354:23bylz05 said:
oldmopars » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:40 pm[/url]":23bylz05]
Cool, what years came with reverse? Any features to look for or look out for?
Get at the least an Aspencade, or better yet an SE, an Interstate is minimal and does not have many options such in the wiring harness to add extra components, my 95 Aspy has harness plugs for the front side markers, corner lights, rear speakers, so bit by bit its becoming an SE right now.
My only gripe is my size 12 foot barely gets under the shifter so a heel toe kit may be in the works, or an adjustable foot peg such as on the SE I believe.
The GL1500 holds its value very well, especially the SE version.
the se doesn't have adjustable foot pegs it had adjustable passenger boards

Thats what I need to do, get some adjustable pegs, very hard to get foot under shifter for me. Of course the engine cylinder also is kinda in the way, something a person gets used to I suppose. I love my Yamaha Venture Royal, perfect shifter position. Wings you have to work it a bit. The last two weeks I have been steadily upgrading my 95 Aspencade so it will be more presentable to the selling market, locally the very very few bikes of this year range are averaging $5 to 6 thousand, or higher with the SE versions with low miles going for over $9K. And I think the GL1500 looks better in some respects than the new Wings. Because Honda is trying to appeal to a broader market by making the new slimmer Wing.

What year did they get a face lift? And cab you put newer style headlight and trim on an older bike? I like the look of the newer ones.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97493#p97493:1ht81765 said:
oldmopars » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:09 am[/url]":1ht81765]
What year did they get a face lift? And cab you put newer style headlight and trim on an older bike? I like the look of the newer ones.
i'm not really sure when the change took place but you can put the new trim on an older 1500

My GL1500 gets around 38MPG. Keeping clean filters in it helps it seems. All GL1500s have carburetors, Honda went to fuel injection when it designed the 1800cc.

I am looking at an 88 with reverse. Is there anything I should look for or be aware of? It looks good and price is very good.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111215#p111215:38295o1y said:
oldmopars » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:11 am[/url]":38295o1y]
I am looking at an 88 with reverse. Is there anything I should look for or be aware of? It looks good and price is very good.
Does it come with cruise control? Mine doesn't work. I'd take a multi meter and check the charging.

~O~

They didn't fix the transmission issue until 97, a lot more power and smoother ride than the 100 or 12's..and most say more comfortable than the 1800's. All the tupperware is a pain to deal with lucky they don't need fixin' too oftern :)!!!

I'd stick with 97-2000 models just for the transmission upgrade..I found one for $4,200 97 with 60,000 miles, lots of trim upgrades good deal for me. Things to do if you get one..change the two sub-filter,change the timing belts, change all fluids.

Fourth gear fork gets bent or worn..and you loose four gear it tends to drop out ..they changed to vallerie tranny in late 96 has a heftier set up and the problem stopped. Not all bikes have issues..depends on how they are ridden/shifted I guess..but it its a known issue with pre 97 1500's

Latest posts