Electrical for Dummies (Me)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87 restore

Reaction score
So, I guess I never looked before I tore into my 87 resto project so here is my question..... Is there brake lights on the saddle bags or is there just running/turn signals ? I want to run without a trunk is the reason I ask and if so what do I need be able to make the saddlebags have brake/running/turn?

I'm not sure on your 1200, but on the 1100'a the lights on the rear of the saddlebags are turn signals only. The tail/stop/license plate lights are in a single assembly, mounted to the fender.

You could replace the sockets in the saddlebags with 3-wire sockets - one wire for stop/turn, the second for running/parking, and the third for ground. I'm not sure about the legal issues of having the stop lights mounted so low...

You could also add the standard brake/license plate holder setup.. or something similar like romaine or a forties style light.. on my 85 interstate they are brake lights and running lights. Had to add leds to the trunk to raise up the brakes lights...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122474#p122474:1s8foieu said:
87 restore » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:20 pm[/url]":1s8foieu]
thanks for the help will have to search for alternatives on ebay tonight

Take a look at the light socket. If there is one contact, it is just a turn signal and uses an 1156 bulb.
images

If there are two contacts, it is turn, brake, and tail lights that will use an 1157 light bulb.
images

If you have the wrong one, it isn't that much to change the socket out in the turn signal housing. If you want an 1100 tail light assembly and bracket, let me know: it's yours for the postage to get it to you...

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=122509#p122509:3rglkbdu said:
brianinpa » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:04 pm[/url]":3rglkbdu]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122474#p122474:3rglkbdu said:
87 restore » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:20 pm[/url]":3rglkbdu]
thanks for the help will have to search for alternatives on ebay tonight

Take a look at the light socket. If there is one contact, it is just a turn signal and uses an 1156 bulb.
images

If there are two contacts, it is turn, brake, and tail lights that will use an 1157 light bulb.
images

If you have the wrong one, it isn't that much to change the socket out in the turn signal housing. If you want an 1100 tail light assembly and bracket, let me know: it's yours for the postage to get it to you...
I have a single in the turn signal and a double in the running, So should I have turn running and brake lights on the saddlebags?

You can't run 3 circuits on a 2 filament bulb (stop/tail) unless you use a controller/diodes to make the brake light flash for turn. I personally prefer Amber turn as it is much more obvious whats happening and it is the law here and in Europe.

You have single signal light sockets on the outside corner of each saddlebag and you have tail light/brake light on the inside socket of each saddle bag. You also should have a center tail light/brake light on the rear between the two saddlebags.

thanks for all the help guys I am going with a couple led strips.......does asnyone recall if the ports on the air (where the hose connects) face toward the front or rear of the bike

Latest posts