false tank hinge

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chief771

Reaction score
Good morning! I was looking at my false tank today and saw I need pins to hold the tank sides hinge together. It appears the previous owner was using rusty old nails. Maybe I am too fussy but after all th work I am putting into my bike, I have no plans to use nails. Any ideas out ther to find pins for the hinges? :thanks:

chief771":m13albz6 said:
It appears the previous owner was using rusty old nails.:thanks:
Typical!! Don't they understand these bikes are outdoor machines exposed to the weather!! Should have used galvanized nails for that job! :smilie_happy:

My 76 was completely missing all the pins...and the plastic bushings.After a bit of digging in my"inactive materials inventory",I came up with a couple pieces of 1/8"?? brazing rod long enough to bridge both hinges on either side,when slid through from the front.Used shortened plastic drywall anchors for the bushings.
With a little 90 degree tweak on the "front" end as a "head",the curve of the installation when in place seems to cause plenty of friction to hold em in place.